Bedford 28hp Engine Query

Hi,

I read this forum regularly with great interest & just find it amazing what vehicles are still around & being tackled by very clever people. Keep up the great work in preserving these vehicles.

I have a non military K Model Bedford 1953 I'm currently "renovating" & keeping it as original as possible. 

Just have one question on my Bedford 28HP Engine before & tackle it & I thought I'd ask on this forum as there are a number of folk who have restored Bedford trucks.

Is there a welch plug (cup plug) at the back of the motor behind the clutch housing?

The reason I ask is that I did find water sitting in the clutch housing bottom cover plate when I removed it.

The workshop manual doesn't show one, but I read somewhere on this forum where someone stated that there is one between 2 of the clutch housing attaching bolts.

Would appreciate it if someone could confirm either way.

all the best in these strange times

Peter

36 minutes ago, peterjdavey@outlook.com said:

Hi,

I read this forum regularly with great interest & just find it amazing what vehicles are still around & being tackled by very clever people. Keep up the great work in preserving these vehicles.

I have a non military K Model Bedford 1953 I'm currently "renovating" & keeping it as original as possible. 

Just have one question on my Bedford 28HP Engine before & tackle it & I thought I'd ask on this forum as there are a number of folk who have restored Bedford trucks.

Is there a welch plug (cup plug) at the back of the motor behind the clutch housing?

The reason I ask is that I did find water sitting in the clutch housing bottom cover plate when I removed it.

The workshop manual doesn't show one, but I read somewhere on this forum where someone stated that there is one between 2 of the clutch housing attaching bolts.

Would appreciate it if someone could confirm either way.

all the best in these strange times

Peter

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum. There is a core plug at the back of the block as you describe. If it is leaking (rusted through) thisis a sure sign of sludge built up in that area and I would suggest that removing the engine and taking off the flywheel and bell housing. Then removing that core plug and possibly one on the side near the rear and flushing the block through with a pressure washer. To be honest it is wise to renew all of the plugs if there is a lot of sludge. Due to your climate in Adelaide, you may not use antifreeze, but I would adise to use an anti corrosion additive in the coolant.

Just been over your way ....... got back home just in time!

regards, Richard

Thank you Richard, appreciate the confirmation & will plan ahead accordingly.

I was planning to flush & replace all the plugs as a mater of course & I run an additive in my MK 2 Jaguar as well.

The manual states to remove the gear box prior to extracting the engine, I assume this is correct?

Due to the harsh conditions out here my Lucas 12 Volt Light/Ignition /Switch is toast. 

What are Bedford owners replacing this switch with? Any recommendations & sources?

Thanks again for accepting my non Military related Commercial Vehicle queries I hope you enjoyed your visit to OZ.

Regards

Peter

2 minutes ago, peterjdavey@outlook.com said:

Thank you Richard, appreciate the confirmation & will plan ahead accordingly.

I was planning to flush & replace all the plugs as a mater of course & I run an additive in my MK 2 Jaguar as well.

The manual states to remove the gear box prior to extracting the engine, I assume this is correct?

Due to the harsh conditions out here my Lucas 12 Volt Light/Ignition /Switch is toast. 

What are Bedford owners replacing this switch with? Any recommendations & sources?

Thanks again for accepting my non Military related Commercial Vehicle queries I hope you enjoyed your visit to OZ.

Regards

Peterl

Hi Peter,

You will need to remove the gearbox in order to extricate the engine from under the bulkhead. There are only 4 bolts holding it to the flywheel housing.

I am not sure which switch is fitted to the civiian models, so could you send a photo of it?

Had a good time in your country, I am involved in running a military vehicle event over there and we were able to run it before the virus situation escalated.

regards, Richard