Scammell Explorer parts

Dave Job

Question

Hi everyone

I am looking for any advice to help get a 1955 Scammell Explorer back on the road, it has a worn cush drive (rubbers perished and ovalised holes) and we are struggling to find a replacement. Can they be repaired? Does it actually need one - can it be replaced with a flange without damaging the gearbox? I have some pictures but am not tech savvy enough to post them yet!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Dave Job

10 answers to this question

Dave,

In answer to your question, no they cannot be replaced with a flange as both engine and gearbox are individually rubber isolated from chassis so there will be some different movement at each end of the shaft. The Metalastik couplings can be repaired but only if the holes in the aluminium sections are in good order. Would be a waste of time and effort if the holes are oval. Some have recast the rubber using Devcon liquid rubber or similar. Basically make a mold of the coupling ensuring that the aluminium sections are correctly spaced and held and form an inner and outer retainer to pour the liquid rubber into.

As Longen has said, there are a few Explorers which have a propshaft to couple the engine to gearbox. There is a lot to fit into a short distance as you need a UJ at each end and a sliding section. Components must be of large enough size to transmit the power / torque dependent upon the engine that you have fitted. 

Are both couplings in a poor state? 

Dave,

Not as would expect for a 1955 Explorer. The coupling should look like the attached and sits between two 'crosses' which each pick-up on alternative sections. The coupling in your photo might be off a civy Scammell as it has the correct square end for connecting to a short shaft via the coupling muffs. If you could find out what model it is from, then you might stand a chance of finding some inserts. Photos of correct Metalastik coupling attached. 

DSCF0705.JPG

DSCF0706.JPG

14 minutes ago, Butch said:

Hi Dave

Not sure if that coupling  is a form  of lay rub  coupling I know they made some for scammells and I think you can still get them ,  there are two types that I have come across, you need to talk to a scammell  handyman  unit owner to find out the part number/supplier ,  try the scammell owners club for contact details

cheers Butch

On 3/30/2020 at 6:46 PM, Butch said:

As Mikes has said, that is not an Explorer type coupling, it should have a 4 bolt flange front and back not 6 bolt. Does it have an adaptor on the 4 bolt gearbox flange or a 6 bolt flange?

The damaged ring would be easy to replicate and a visit to a motor factor should identify a suitable car suspension bush that would fit, the type with a metal tube for the bolt and a metal outer to press fit into the ring.

Engine torque would not be a problem as it is pre gear reduction and would be in the order of 500 fl lbs.

IIRC the Explorer clutch does not have a sprung centre on the friction plate and there is a chance of ending up with a gearbox chatter at idle if using an undamped coupling shaft.

Edited by radiomike7

Hi all

I managed to fit a trip in and take a couple more pictures of what was fitted, we are edging towards a modern replacement/alternative in order to make some progress and don't need to worry about originality at this stage

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG