Brand new CVRT owner

Alex2909

Morning all, 

My name is Alex and I live in north Essex, not too far from Saffron Waldon. Day job is in technology but I'd rather be skinning my knuckles fiddling with vehicles!

I joined a little while ago to get some insights (which have been brilliant!) into buying a historic military vehicle. It was always a dream to own a tank and I've had CVRTs at the top of the list for some time now. I did my H licence at the back end of last year and yesterday took delivery of my CVRT Sabre. I couldn't be more excited (if a little bit daunted by how little I know!) but I'm really looking forward to making some new friends here and learning a load of useful stuff. 

Cheers,

Alex

14 minutes ago, Alex2909 said:

Thanks Chris, nice to meet you! What happened to yours?

Nothing, some are at my parents house and others are stored on a farm, but Boris will be upset if I visit them!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 10:42 AM, Diana and Jackie said:

I'm champing at the bit, after doing some major overhaul work and petrol being as low here as £1.02 a litre,  I can't even go for a test drive.

I anticipate a minimum of a 3 month lock down if people play by the rules, but they aren't so that is going to make it longer. 😞

Don't you need to go to work or shopping?  🙂

Andy

• Haha 1

Congratulations and welcome ...
I saw the videos of your vehicle. Andrew is a good guy, sure they have done a great job on the vehicle , this looks good you are lucky to be able to drive it, my cvr (t) is still a project and there are many days left so he can move on his own ...

Regards...

• Like 1

Thanks for the wonderful welcome everyone! I’ve been practicing driving around a field until the V5 arrives and am very slowly learning a few of her foibles! 
I’ve ordered a few manuals so will spend some quality time going over those over Easter.

The engine is running beautifully which is nice! I’ll be looking to see what I can get working in the turret next so will beer looking for some help on the sights and how to clean/refurb them.

I’ll also be looking to get some of the CES in the near future too so any uses on where the best spares etc are to be found would be awesome.

Here are some pics of the restoration. Will update with ref number and a bit of history as soon as I have it. Hope you’re all keeping well!

4AC72724-E512-454E-86D7-5A8BF54187BD.jpeg

E5D8BA9E-00C2-4460-8EDE-D43E51B9641F.jpeg

79BE754A-45E6-4FD6-9EFF-F2ADF1C85757.jpeg

1A6B0F69-E826-42CD-A290-242640E32B49.jpeg

F34A4E21-EAA2-4CD6-9A19-E1CFA3A99849.jpeg

B5330BF8-508F-4FDD-BC82-F9B4D5EB9875.jpeg

846E9B02-3D0C-4394-ADDB-B4CF54E01C65.jpeg

915F18CF-A0E4-4CA7-9890-7CADE448707F.jpeg

D0BBF0A2-0340-481A-BF69-EA6D3FCFDADB.jpeg

92CB6B97-1407-4748-B00A-42A3FB555860.jpeg

A0022D12-FB00-420C-91F2-1FFB4F65EFEA.jpeg

DB0EA452-6289-4769-BAC5-08F7AB26A384.jpeg

8E26B956-045F-44C7-B951-4BE8BFAEC5C6.jpeg

489C2477-2296-4FE9-8C84-E09401DB1BE1.jpeg

Hi Alex wow, Looks as good as a base refit, that white lower hull looks so nice sad it lasts as long as the first muddy boots scraping its sole over the back of the gear pedal🤦🏻‍♂️, did you have to sauce new handbrake belts or are they original, did it come with the nbc system under the rear lower bin *cough*armour door.

Such a nice build Alex I’m excited for you to get her on the road, word of warning you need to do halt parades on these girls if you drop oil from a road wheel hub it’s a rebuild at worst best a top up, but I cannot stress final drive levels it has to be like a religion you seize a final drive hub best case you need a wrecker recovery worst case you spin doing 60mph or arch in the direction of the now still track, you will most likely be ok ish anything you in well.... yer you stop you check put back of hand on your hubs, I doubt you will do much long road runs but you get the point, you need comms and ear protection you probably know but so does anyone you take out.., 10 years of useless information has a use again 🎉  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Messier4715 said:

Hi Alex wow, Looks as good as a base refit, that white lower hull looks so nice sad it lasts as long as the first muddy boots scraping its sole over the back of the gear pedal🤦🏻‍♂️, did you have to sauce new handbrake belts or are they original, did it come with the nbc system under the rear lower bin *cough*armour door.

Such a nice build Alex I’m excited for you to get her on the road, word of warning you need to do halt parades on these girls if you drop oil from a road wheel hub it’s a rebuild at worst best a top up, but I cannot stress final drive levels it has to be like a religion you seize a final drive hub best case you need a wrecker recovery worst case you spin doing 60mph or arch in the direction of the now still track, you will most likely be ok ish anything you in well.... yer you stop you check put back of hand on your hubs, I doubt you will do much long road runs but you get the point, you need comms and ear protection you probably know but so does anyone you take out.., 10 years of useless information has a use again 🎉  

Thanks v much, I am trying to learn as much as I can to stay safe and keep her running! So all of the checks and stuff that I need to do come as welcome advice!! So I need to  check the wheel hubs regularly for oil leaks. Will get  my manual this weekend and make sure I add it to my checklist, thanks v much. Any other advice most welcome.

I can't take any credit for the rebuild, MVS did it and I only bought it from them 🙂

I bought some headsets and have a helmet to stop me banging my head on the mantlet!

Thanks v much, I am trying to learn as much as I can to stay safe and keep her running! So all of the checks and stuff that I need to do come as welcome advice!! So I need to  check the wheel hubs regularly for oil leaks. Will get  my manual this weekend and make sure I add it to my checklist, thanks v much. Any other advice most welcome.

I can't take any credit for the rebuild, MVS did it and I only bought it from them 🙂

I bought some headsets and have a helmet to stop me banging my head on the mantlet!

Hay Alex yer keep the wheel hubs topped up BUT the main safety check are the final drives go to the front of the vehicle on the hull at the front are the final drives which are external to the gearbox and independent of the oil lubrications system hence why you #NEED#!! To keep them topped up.

it easy to locate the final drive Bell housing it is the mount for the sprockets, at the front of the bell housing you have two plugs near the to the hull they are quite big and brass I think some variation on the top plugs being deleted, getting to the plugs you may need to bed the mud flap guard up but we used to bend it at a angle on the sides and leave it for access a little more access over a bit more mud no contest when you have to clean in there to check.
Now you have to pick and chose your halt parade location but as long as it’s relatively flat plus the suspension will help level the hull you can start, 

crack the plug if oil runs down the threads of the plug and is in a good condition replace the plug.

if it’s not running out inspect your plugs crush or flat copper seal see if it’s bit the dust, if not top up the drives to the plug threads. The drives consume oil ( omd90 or om90 check), steadily so that’s why it’s important to keep them fed always have a full oil filler pump can with the long tube neck on ‘any’ run you do letting a unit run dry may or may not cause a accident but you will junk it and need a rebuilt of bearing because think about it the final drive literally holds the weight and forces of the track system.
Even sitting oil can drop cvrt hate to sit fyi so when you see her next do your checks check tract tension as that will drop check all oils look for pools in your road wheel lips good indicator and a circular splatter is a give away in a run to , check charge in hull and turret battery’s hope you turned your master switches off in turret hull lol. Happy to help Alex.

craig.

Hi Alex,

I have only just picked up on this thread. I have owned a Spartan for around a year, it didn't look anywhere near as pretty as yours :) However I have had a lot of blood, sweat and swear words trying to replace all the bits that were missing, a never ending job...

I so wish I had a field to go rushing about on, I am finding the local roads are doing no favours for the rubbers on the tracks. I have however had a great deal of help from the forum and others (local guys and girls that own military vehicles, and former miltiary personal who used to operate CVRT's), and while I am still learning everytime I climb on board, most of the time I come away with a tired smile on my face.

Love to see your vids I am guessing I missed your facebook name or even utube link....

Please feel free to read through my numerous threads some of which might answer some of your questions or contact me directly

Edited by SirLanceUK
Should learn to type and spell
  • Like 1

I have a small affinity for Spartans been in and out driving and was just done with some of my commanders course before being medically discharged. One day I’ll have my own ( be easier to drag my ass in haha) rig some hand control for gear up down and I’ll be sorted the lands that I served with live local and they love the old girls as much as I do. When this is all settled (corvid19) I would love to try see a show or what not, anyway lads and lasses chat soon. Trust your all well and safe.

Edited by Messier4715
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2020 at 12:51 AM, Messier4715 said:

I have a small affinity for Spartans been in and out driving and was just done with some of my commanders course before being medically discharged. One day I’ll have my own ( be easier to drag my ass in haha) rig some hand control for gear up down and I’ll be sorted the lands that I served with live local and they love the old girls as much as I do. When this is all settled (corvid19) I would love to try see a show or what not, anyway lads and lasses chat soon. Trust your all well and safe.

Watch this space, dont know where you are in the world but i would love you to pop over and see (maybe drive dont promise that) my Spartan, give me a few tips and maybe buy me a beer :)

• Like 1