amazing what you find when you have time

wally dugan

cta1.thumb.jpg.b112b730243c9890f2a6f16406a482d9.jpgsdd1.thumb.jpg.ef7947cc97b50dda0e13f23ad62694ba.jpgsdd2.thumb.jpg.f21d60bdcab8dacd7c39c94b4dfc62b9.jpgAs the title suggests my wife said it was time for me to sort out some of the boxes in the loft amongst the many files from FVRDE that l have collected here are just two the trails of the SALADIN MK2 as standard and a SALADIN MK2 fitted with differential lock it make interesting  reading the pictures need sorting  The second file is for the CHURCHILL TWIN ARK which  contains all thecta2.thumb.jpg.f23485c8c870e846bafeb657b966d97c.jpg factory drawings from JOHN LYSAGHT's BRISTOL WORKS as well as stowage diagrams and a series of photographs    and the list of faults that were found there are trail reports on dozens of vehicles and photos that l have not looked at for years

• Like 1

l am now finding just how much stuff l have collected l sent some MFO boxes in to  storage a while back which were full of military vehicle reports and files the kids are not interested so it best l sort it all out here are two more there are all sorts from full sets of classroom wall vehicle instruction sheets some with out any sign of ever been put up cut away colour  posters  of ww2 weapons fb1.thumb.jpg.777fda1834e45e4f25b2a4f3e2fb9c99.jpgfb2.thumb.jpg.dc53056a884fb4dbe54f2f3a97fe000f.jpgfb2.thumb.jpg.dc53056a884fb4dbe54f2f3a97fe000f.jpgmal.thumb.jpg.41b0acbc684de715b5ec84d791084b0f.jpg

• Like 1

To first answer the question about scanning documents yes l do and normally only to happy to do so but time to check list and pack and in some cases to wrap up in acid free tissue is taking up more time than l expected that and the fact that the document depositary are going to try and collect the boxes next Monday.  but for now here is a bit of a mixture from a box given a few years ago by a friend of my  father's  who stayed in after ww2 service with 2nd infantry brigade reme attached to 6 Gordon highlanders  MEF            It contains mostly CMP MAINTAINANCE MANUALS and data books but in most of the manuals are the unused caution transfers . As well his book on north Africa and a picture of him on top of a dingo  he is the one in the pale coveralls  on the one on the left it was taken in 1948 on the road between CELLE- BELSEN a road l have travelled a number of times in the past amd.thumb.jpg.f9417c292ccff7c2a11fab691016b817.jpg

• Like 1

there is a temptation when packing to stop and read some thing you have forgotten about or it catches your eye if I post something it then goes in the box then  when filled sealed. To day has been packing more files most trials reports  contain photographs here are a few which l took out and copied before replacing them back in the correct file  and packing away in the box. My wife has been packing and sorting loose photographs of which there are hundreds collected over more years going back to my early working daysbern.thumb.jpg.66ad46c62315c59ff95093ebcc59b8a2.jpgbor.thumb.jpg.2ae61c2f760c7933a11660c2d7190ef8.jpg

val.jpg

Edited by wally dugan
  • Like 1

RICHARD in the first boxes l sent in to storage there is some files on  the OXFORD some of which did appear on the forum but only a  small amount. Just to explain as l have said my children have no interest in things military and l do not want them to have to  sort these out so a long time ago l planned what I want to happen to all of this and have made arrangements. To show that l did collect all and sundry when not many could see that some things need saving  something from the railway side of things this will be my last post on this subject as even now we will not  get everything catalogued as there are dozen and dozen of FV DRAWINGS as well as  manufacturers drawings some three feet by four feet RASC  training  booklets as well as more FVRDE trials filesuni.thumb.jpg.3b394d684594b068a1f9e48d9afe46b8.jpgtubby.thumb.jpg.c248124dd94eaac3735b227c55819227.jpg  all of  which won't be ready for collection on monday

Thanks Wally,

Re. Oxford, I thought I should ask, I did find some reports at Bovington, but always interested in learning more. I can see your predicament, a friend whose father recently passed away is now having to sort out his collection, no mean task as I can vouch.

Not seen that Unipower 4 tonner before, it would have been an awkward one to climb in and out of I reckon.

regards, Richard

16 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Not seen that Unipower 4 tonner before, it would have been an awkward one to climb in and out of I reckon.

regards, Richard

Richard, that looks like a Unipower Invader which was rated up to 16T although the caption says 14T. Engine would have been a Perkins V8 same as the Leyland 16T prototype with the Boxer type cab.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as that scot said the[ best laid plans of mice and men] well you know the rest Monday came and the boxes were collected but we only had done two thirds and we have a few more to sort out. The last to pack before Monday were more trials vehicle ledgersmh5.thumb.jpg.7aaf4b6bf463e0f819aa316b602bd0bc.jpgdacz.thumb.jpg.d14a2462f804c9d66f3c0c75681a7f58.jpgjgill.thumb.jpg.51ffad0af00c260c8e3d7402bb9eda83.jpgak9.thumb.jpg.6402c9d0b8acf1f86bebaf557eb61a9f.jpg and the FV drawings these were the  easiest  as the drawings are in two parts first  ledgers with copies of the full scale drawings these are A4 while the full scale ones are A1 and for storage needed to be packed laid flat

• Like 1

RICHARD the MUIR-HILLs listed are not from a 419b card but from the ledger it contains disposal  records for a number of plant vehicles the likes of BRAY FERGUSON FORD VIGOR CATS ALLIS CHALMERS MARSHALL EAGER BEAVER AND my favorite the RODLEY-SMITH amongst others

Edited by wally dugan

JOHN the problem l have is something will catch my eye when l am sorting out and l scan it then I post it on here and it then goes in the box As l have no idea if it is of interest to any one else but me and the plan is to reduce  the amount l have that does not mean l am stopping collecting as only this week a friend e-mailed me he has another box of documents for me the amounts l get in the future will of course get less as people retire  from  work ever box is always  a surprise