E10 Petrol on its way?

andym

With a modern car for everyday use the flow of fresh petrol most probably dispenses  any remaining water in a tank as the petrol and remaining water sloshes and mix  together, the car  is on the move too much for water to settle and accumulate. If a modern day car was treated like a vintage collectible not that much used then i assume you would have the same problem.

Hi. 

I've wondered about installing a low point drain tap on the military fuel filters on my CMPS much like the fuel test point like they have one aircraft.  So as part of your pre-drive check you take a small sample to  check for water.  Problem with pulling the thread drain plug on military filters is it generally all or nothing event, and messy.   The drain checks on planes allow you to push a container against the test point and take a small slug of fuel.

Cheers Phil 

1 hour ago, BC312 said:

With a modern car for everyday use the flow of fresh petrol most probably dispenses  any remaining water in a tank as the petrol and remaining water sloshes and mix  together, the car  is on the move too much for water to settle and accumulate. If a modern day car was treated like a vintage collectible not that much used then i assume you would have the same problem.

"Modern" cars - let's say post 1980 ,  have had plastic petrol tanks - these don't create internal condensation like metal petrol tanks do in cold weather , due to airflow , driving over deep snow etc.   Since at least 1980 most cars have had  EVAP charcoal canister sealed from atmosphere systems.  Such as Series Land Rovers - the tanks are vented to atmosphere , standing unused for long periods - often hot/cold pumping of the petrol due to ambient temperatures aids the change of air to top of tank and this could be moisture laden air.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:15 PM, ltwtbarmy said:

Try this for size. My late father in law had shown me an article in the Aston Martin Owners club magazine which mentioned this additive. This was a few years ago, so there might be other brands now. 

https://www.millersoils-shop.co.uk/eps-ethanol-protection

This one popped up today:https://www.frost.co.uk/ethomix-corrosion-inhibitor-additive-ethanol-protection/

• Like 1