FV432 collector filter fuel pump/Air vent/bleed hole

Richardfv432

I have just replaced my old FV432 fuel pump next to the collector filter with a reconditioned one, only to find it is leaking/weeping diesel very slightly where the pump is bolted on to the collector filter box; now most of us would think its just the cork gasket leaking.....!!well after three attempts ,I gave up with this idea and placed the pump and box up high so I could see where the slight leak was coming from and when lifting the pump, the 'MOD' date sticker came away from the base of the pump housing.

Then to my amazement I saw a small hole not much bigger than a needle size, the hole was hidden behind the sticker. My question, is this hole there for a reason?, it looks like it should be there, only my old pump never had this slight weeping. 

Is there anyone out there that has the EMER on this pump please, just to put my mind at rest. I believe they are still in use on some of the modern vehicles. The easy way to rectify the leak would be to just use a self tapping screw.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard

I've been trying to find a decent drawing, the only one I've seen is in the ISPL.  Judging from that the hole is on the motor side of the shaft seal so it looks like you've got a leaky seal.  What's really needed is the EMER for the pump.

Andy

28 minutes ago, andym said:

I've been trying to find a decent drawing, the only one I've seen is in the ISPL.  Judging from that the hole is on the motor side of the shaft seal so it looks like you've got a leaky seal.  What's really needed is the EMER for the pump.

Andy

934493810_mqdefault1.jpg.1d3756d43bfcace8a8f5e0d717f8c7ac.jpg

Hi Richard, we use a low temp aluminium weld called Durafix when we have to fix housings on this pump see below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1njyuPBIH0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Durafix-Aluminium-Welding-Easyweld-Brush/dp/B00GG09068

Id suggest the unit has that part of the housing removed and cleaned of any traces of fuel before you attempt any repair

Hi Andy,Thank you for looking further into this, Shaun say's this does seem to be a problem and suggests welding,I am going to try this as the pumps works fine, if you do find the EMER drawing that would be fantastic, maybe Clive has it ?.

Richard

I forgot to look yesterday.  I will set my phone alarm to remind me.  Blocking the hole is the easy bit if you want to do it.  Andy is right and that is my concern.  If there is a shaft seal between the pump and the motor, and it is leaking blocking the hole is merely a bodge and will bite you later.

John

I see I have EMER POWER

P 424/1 Pump, fuel pressurizing, No.2 Mk 1. Field & Base repairs. May 1967
P 428/1 Pump, fuel pressurizing, No.2 Mk 1. Inspection Standard. Aug. 1976

There is a x-sectional line drawing.

Hi Andy,Clive and John

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice and information, I cannot see any hole in the drawing, so it could be an old MOD plate weld hole, who knows.

I am going to send the pump back to EICS and I hope to get a replacement without to much fuss.

If anyone comes up with anymore information, I would be most grateful. Sheaun at Carwood, Coventry did say, the are often welding these pump casings, so it might be a common fault, only keep your eyes open guys, as the hole was hidden behind the MOD Sticker.

Richard

the hole is meant to be there!

it is a witness hole and serves two purposes;

lets you know when the two oil seals between the pump part and the motor part have  failed (diesel will seep out of the hole)

stops leaking diesel filling the electric motor which has the potential to start a fire

as mentioned on here, stopping a small problem with a bodge may well lead to something much worse.......