24volt coil

Peter is your Bosch coil actually rated at 24v or is it rated to operate in the 24v system of your M201  ie it operates in series with a ballast resistor?

The Land Rover "24v" coil is actually a 10v coil in series with two ballast resistors in series contained in the RF filter unit.

11 hours ago, ruxy said:

Have a look at the blunt end , there will probably be a letter code embossed on the can (it will also incorporate 24)  ,  from that you should be able to establish more info.

On the blunt end is  the following: KW 24V   0 221 103 001  and 965 in an oval. The long number is the Bosch serial but they don't make them any more.

18 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Peter is your Bosch coil actually rated at 24v or is it rated to operate in the 24v system of your M201  ie it operates in series with a ballast resistor?

The Land Rover "24v" coil is actually a 10v coil in series with two ballast resistors in series contained in the RF filter unit.

Hi. The writing on the back of the coil states  KW24V, so I guessing it is 24 volts. There are no ballast resistors fitted. At the moment I'm leaning towards fitting a 24v coil from a M38A1. Do you think this is suitable?

I'm sorry I know nothing about a M38A1.

I expect many people on here are using coils built 20 years earlier than 1963 without any issues. The vehicles I have owned from 1950s-60s have all run on their original coils, coils probably of better build quality than nowadays.

To me it seems very strange to design a vehicle to run with a coil supplied with 24v rather than use a lower voltage coil + ballast resistor. The problem with a proper 24v coil is that it will have a primary inductance of about twice that of a comparable 12v coil.

As the time constant (time taken for coil to fully magnetise) is related to the ratio of inductance to resistance, it seems better to reduce the inductance & increase the resistance of the primary circuit. Thereby ensure a more sustained voltage output at high revs.

So a work around could be to choose a suitable 12v coil (suitable ie one designed for the polarity of earth your vehicle uses) measure its resistance & choose a ballast resistor of the same resistance. Your coil will then be supplied with 12v as it was designed for.

Do not use the ballast resistor from a 12v system as often the coil will be designed for about 6v & the ballast resistor to match.

On a M201  - lifting the bonnet ,  a Bosch coil to me seems a bit incongruous  - they were Frenchified , such as the Carter for a Solex , so I would expect a SEV Marchal.   So has the Bosch been fitted as a near by a PO  ?

You should be able to quote that code to Bosch Automotive and obtain data & alternatives,  however IMHO it is a supposition that it would be as originally intended .  If I sift through the odd book I have - I may be able to determine.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

56 minutes ago, ruxy said:

On a M201  - lifting the bonnet ,  a Bosch coil to me seems a bit incongruous  - they were Frenchified , such as the Carter for a Solex , so I would expect a SEV Marchal.   So has the Bosch been fitted as a near by a PO  ?

You should be able to quote that code to Bosch Automotive and obtain data & alternatives,  however IMHO it is a supposition that it would be as originally intended .  If I sift through the odd book I have - I may be able to determine.

56 minutes ago, ruxy said:

The original combined Hotchkiss waterproof coil and distributor has been replaced by a previous owner with a conventional separate distributor and the Bosch coil, as shown in my picture.

20200228_093941.jpg