Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

hi Steve, just generally tatty, the wires are old the cups are rusty and the glass has gone brown on the inside, i would like to see if anyone has taken them apart cleaned and re wired them if so how, sand blasted, wet and dry etc the units are made by Westinghouse 12v not sure if they are original to the Jeep or not.

Jeep lights are usually sealed beam lights, so buying new bulbs ( the whole glass and reflector ) will sort out the broken glass, rusty terminals and will give you a freshly silvered reflector. The metal bowl could be cleaned up with wire wool and wet and dry paper, unless it is so far gone it needs replacing.

A whole new wiring harness is an easy way to sort the electrics. They come marked and colour coded and while mine was around £200 back in 2013, it is worth the time and effort saved in trying to make a new harness.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep
spelling
  • Thanks 1

hi Steve,

I would recommend buying a complete wiring kit for your jeep and as Jerry says it will come labelled with all the fittings/connectors. I purchased a MV Spares kit , I think about £250 but worth it. If your wiring is original the insulation will have perished or it will have been modified over the years leaving you with a rather messy set of wires so for me I would replace it.

For your headlights I feel you need to think about what you are going to do about indicators. I wanted to keep the correct look to my jeep and did not want to add extra  indicator units so I modified the front convoy light units with an amber LED bulb. For the headlights I then bought a standard 5 1/4" reflector which takes a standard H4 headlight bulb and a sidelight bulb - it takes the same size bulb as your dashboard lights. For the rear indicators I modified the rear convoy marker lights of the rear clusters and again fitted an amber LED.. By re-assigning some of the wires in the looms I only had to add one extra wire at the front and was able to use an in keeping period fabric covered wire.

Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks guys, i will wire wool the headlights and take them apart, new harness all round is the way forward, love the amber lights too, i have already removed the fitted indicators i was never going to keep them, now to search for the harness, thanks guys.

Most parts dealers will have wiring harnesses from Seal Tested; you'll need the one for the rotary light switch and there are versions that already have been converted to double stop- and taillights. You might have to change wiring for the black out lights yourself by adding a blinker and switch to it to turn them into indicator lights.

Hi Steve,

I did the same thing and fitted a buzzer because when I had a tally light I never used to see it. Then fitted a switch to the dash for the indicators fed from permanent +volts so the indicators function irrespective of the light switch position.

I personally have used  AES  for wiring and headlights etc and then Classic Car LEDs for indicators. Got the buzzer off ebay.

www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk

www.classiccarleds.co.uk

• Like 1

Viewed a few looms available, first Jeffery engineering it says budget loom £285 inc del, i mailed for more info

second MV $295 inc free del, works out at around £240ish

third is classic jeep parts £283 plus £35 delivery and finally Dallas £295 plus del, it would appear the MV deal looks a good one. MV top pic, then classic Jeep, third Dallas, 4th pic Jeffery enginnering.WWIIJEEP-33-2.thumb.jpg.6ac6b2ed53f8079621b1f9ede4c45085.jpg105696702-origpic-99511a.jpg.91d23ad303f78ea4b43325cf2f17a072.jpgWiring-Harness-Rotary-3.thumb.jpg.4ab9796a0264298297764d1d8df7a37b.jpg

50064.jpg.6a0089595041afd84fae452812bcd9f0.jpg

Thanks guys something i am aware of as i buy a lot of general WW2 items from the states etc, i have just started to get a bits in for when i will need them such as fuel line, brake pipes, wiring looms which could be another year or so from being fitted, no rush i will take my time

Steve

Quick one guys working on the headlights lights today, got one sealed unit out of the cup easily enough but the other will not shift for love or money, put a little pb blaster inside the seal nothing, any tips to remove the light from the cup please i would like if possible to have these cleaned and primed today, thanks

Steve