Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

When I registered my Jeep, March 2018, I just sent the paperwork off and got it done that way,  no questions, no inspection..

As Jessie the Jeep says above, I doubt they have the manpower to inspect all vehicles..

• Like 1

I am going to start the strip down this weekend with all of the smaller parts, handles etc and plod on, i can see those flat head screws being a pain, like i mentioned earlier my father in law as taken ill (possibly cancer) so it will be a longer process.

I would start with soaking all bolts, nuts, screws etc. with penetrating oil and give it time to soak in. Also, use zip-lock bags to keep bolts, nuts and small parts in and write on them what the location of those parts was. Remember to pay attention to the bolt heads and try to save any original ones, they are hard to replace. Ofc keep making photos.... all lessons learned the hard way :)))

• Like 1

Been up for a few hours today managed to remove windshield, some grab handles etc, i have all but one hinge bolts removed the one remaining is not original  the nut is free but the bolt is spinning at the other end (within the bulkhead somewhere) all fender bolts were pre soaked a while ago, kind of 50/50 with them at the moment some snapped clean off others came out easily, the two at the bottom of the drivers side (with tabs attached to the chassis) are solid more soaking for them me thinks, its a start of a long journey.

lots of paint to remove, last picture shows just much it has had.

20200319_110038.jpg

20200319_124413.jpg

20200319_124428.jpg

20200319_124436.jpg

20200319_124549.jpg

If you don't have access to a small flame gas torch for the stubborn fixings try using a hot air gun, the sort sold in DIY stores or on line, use the narrow nozzle in the kit you'll be surprised how well it works with a little WD40 while the nut or bolt  is still hot 

Pete

• Like 1

Cheers Pete, yes i have a hot air gun here, i will give a whirls tomorrow regards the frame number is that not the same as the chassis number? which were listed earlier in the thread, the jeep is a march 1945 build.

i am going to follow the G503 strip down guide (youtube helps), so screen,hood, lights grill then fenders.

That looks fantastic bud, i am a way off that at the moment, a few hours here and there at the moment.

today removed lights all but two of the grill bolts (the bottom two) all fender bolts removed from drivers side but some numpty as stuck a load of filler joining the foot step (should i cut it?) still one mother of a screw holding the hinge (picture attached) i can see the other end under the cowling i need a long flexable socket attachment to hold it whilst undoing the nut, one light bracket has been welded to the top of the grill, check out how much filler is on the drivers fender, ( replace it?) and the screen would not fold forward looks like the area that joins the body has been bodged up.

20200319_125636.jpg

20200320_103835.jpg

20200320_115450.jpg

20200320_115612.jpg

20200320_115701.jpg

When I started stripping my Ford, the farmer who had previously owned it, welded some plate steel over the original rotten floor. In doing so, he managed to weld the floor to the chassis. I had to cut big holes through the floor until I could reach all of the weld to cut it free. Only then could I get the body off!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question guys during this lockdown i am getting one or two bits in ready such as angle grinders tools etc , now i have looked at mig welding for the body repairs can anyone suggest a decent one for me, UK based if possible bearing in mind i have not welded before, youtube trained? also looking at brake and fuel line sets mine does not have the filter on the bulkhead any one suggest good sets i think JMP look decent can anyone confirm, also paint primer, red oxide right? i have a few small pieces handles etc ready to be done, thanks folks.

yes the gpa body is ready for blasting has been a lot of work the frame is finished and I could get on with it but just fancy doing a jeep of the land kind I have a ford gpw to do so I think I will get that in the work shop its as easy to work on two as one jeep all the best and keep safe jerry 

hull2.JPG

hull10.JPG

P1000752.JPG

hull6.JPG

Cheers pal no doubt a little further down the line i will be in touch, space for me is an issue too,  at the moment i have the smaller parts off ie handles , lights because we are in lockdown and the Jeep is at my daughters house its tough to get to it, the screen is off bonnet has 1 bolt to remove and the drivers fender is hanging on with filler/bondo once these are off the will keep me busy if can get them down here, then its the grill, rad, etc with seats fuel tank to follow.

the engine is running fine should i strip it for the sake of it?

spent yesterday stripping down both axles only to find both need new bearings and the crown wheels and pinons resetting have also fitted the back strings and brake pipes some new parts turned up and some of the scrap left over all the best keep safe in your workshop jerry 

P1000901.JPG

P1000902.JPG

P1000904.JPG

P1000903.JPG

P1000905.JPG

• Like 1