Valentine/Covenanter Tag

Hamble

Hi all,

Picked up this warning tag which appears to be for a Valentine/Covenanter and refers to the turret being locked forward while the compass is in use. Does anyone know anymore about this? Why was it specific to these two tanks and where abouts on the tank it would have been?

Thanks,

Hamble

DSC_0303.thumb.JPG.78489f08c3baab7741ded21504d79be2.JPGDSC_0307.thumb.JPG.575af3f12a5c29eb6874c11d8316fdef.JPG

23 hours ago, BC312 said:

There is a compass binnacle in front of the driver. I assume the turret moving round with the main gun swinging over the driver compartment would affect the compass magnetic field. 

Very interesting, I imagine with these tanks being so low profile the gun gets close to the drivers area. I have a feeling the driver may have got annoyed with this tag and threw it out as it was found in a field. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 1:30 AM, John Pearson said:

I have always wondered if the Valentine DD model had a similar tag but marked as "turret must be to the rear" so as to allow using the compass afloat?

If the turret was to the front, the gun would foul the floatation screen.

P7090079.JPG

On 2/15/2020 at 9:29 PM, Pzkpfw-e said:

If the turret was to the front, the gun would foul the floatation screen.

P7090079.JPG

Yes, that is what I was referring to. "Land" tanks are sometimes told to go for a specific distance on a particular compass bearing so to ensure accuracy, the turret is put into the straight ahead position and the compass adjusted for maximum accuracy but this is not the case with Valentine DD tanks. Their operational orders would be to attack a particular bunker etc, probably in view. The approach swim however was always done on a compass bearing and while swimming, the Valentine DD would have its turret reversed, hence my suggestion that the compass would be adjusted with the turret reversed and a special tag issued to note that fact. The reason I queried rather than stated it is because my tank does not have such a tag although all the others seem to be present. (Sherman DD did not have this problem, they floated with turrets to the front)

I know this may sound a bit odd but I usually work the other way round; show organisers tend to contact me and ask me to attend their show. I can't manage all requests maybe due to time or maybe travel costs but I try to agree to attend as many as I can (it is only a hobby after all!) It is very rare that I am actually looking around for a show to attend so if I haven't been asked then the question as to whether I intended to go or not doesn't arise. I have to say that I thought the Victory Show was an absolute cracker, pity it rained so much when I was there.