Hello all,

I want to get my Carrier road registered so I can track it to local events and drive it around Normandy in June, but the MVT age verification service seems to have stopped. Does anyone know how else I can get my 1942 Ford Universal Carrier verified for an age related number?

Thanks,

Tom

17 hours ago, Tom M said:

Hello all,

I want to get my Carrier road registered so I can track it to local events and drive it around Normandy in June, but the MVT age verification service seems to have stopped. Does anyone know how else I can get my 1942 Ford Universal Carrier verified for an age related number?

Thanks,

Tom

The MVT have suspended their verification service until they get clarification from DVLA with regards to the registration of previously unregistered vehicles, when they get clarification from DVLA then verification will resume. 

Ax soon as we Area Secretaries are informed that verification has resumed I will post the news on this forum.

Thanks for the info John.

Are you able to explain the verification process? Do we need to take the vehicles to an MVT representative etc? Interested to know what I can look forward to!

Also, the million dollar question... any ideas on when the service will resume? Are we talking months or years? Haha

The MVT representative will visit you and inspect the  vehicle, they usually research chassis and and engine numbers etc to ensure that the vehicle is correct. They then complete a form and forward it along with photos taken during the inspection to the MVT verification officer who then sends them to DVLA. I don't know how long the suspension of verification will last, it depends on how quickly DVLA resolves the problem.

Hello John, thanks for the info. I’ll watch the situation with keen interest. Normandy might have to wait for next year. Can you tell us what the issue is with DVLA?

I look forward to showing you around the carrier when the time comes. It’s not far from you, near Larkhill.

One of the problems with DVLA is that they seem to insist on having a NOVA (Notice of Vehicle Arrival) form before they will register a previously unregistered vehicle, even if the vehicle in question was built in this country and has never left this country. 

Would you be interested in bringing your carrier to Lacock at War on the 15th and 16th of August? Entry forms are available to download from our website westwiltsmvt.org.uk

12 hours ago, johnwardle said:

One of the problems with DVLA is that they seem to insist on having a NOVA (Notice of Vehicle Arrival) form before they will register a previously unregistered vehicle, even if the vehicle in question was built in this country and has never left this country. 

Would you be interested in bringing your carrier to Lacock at War on the 15th and 16th of August? Entry forms are available to download from our website westwiltsmvt.org.uk

Hello John, I would be interested in bringing the Carrier to Lacock. I need to look at transport as driving it would mean driving along the A4 potentially. I might see if I can set up a convoy and bring down a 25pdr gun set and quad at the same time.

I have a NOVA for my Carrier, as I imported it from New Zealand, is there any chance I can get the age verification done?

• 2 weeks later...

There have been several posts on this forum and others regarding verification of unregistered ex-military vehicles, the DVLA and getting a registration document.  Again, from this forum and others the MVT appear to have a backlog of applications to work through or may not be processing applications at this time.

I have seen recently the Essex-HMVA (I understand a registered charity) undertake vehicle verification both for their members and others requiring such a service. Details I believe are on their website.

If you don’t know Essex-Historic Military Vehicle Association (ESSEX-HMVA) look for there website with links to Shows and Events they support and attend as well as organise, worth a look.   

I have just received the MVT chairman's report from the Trustees of the MVT Management Committee (the new name for the Council of Management ).

The backlog of Vehicle verifications has been cleared and a new person has put their name forward to take up the position of Vehicle verification officer, although this will not be confirmed until the AGM on the 5th of April.

So hopefully verifications we re commence in April. I will keep you updated as soon as I am,informed.

This really is a strange subject. I registered my Spartan after several delays without a NOVA after calling DVLA and speaking to them they told me then did not need me to supply one. I know others have told the opposite. I was also told by a certain person at the DVLA that I was unable to drive my vehicle on the road FULL STOP. 

At one point I was passed on to the technical team who write the specifications for the MOT, a very interesting conversation with most of the team, and in further conversations with DVLA I was able to quote their name :)

Being a tracked vehicle I also had the backing of the tank museum who bent over backward to help me get the registration. MVT did help in the end but were not very speedy as they had to satisfy themselves that their documentation was complete and through enough for the DVLA.

I think in my limited contact with DVLA I found it was sometimes worth calling in again and talking to someone else.