Jump to content

Unknown tractor


Recommended Posts

This 4x4 tractor was in use in the south of our country before 1940. Anyone has an idea about the make? Yes it is written on the radiator but the resolution of the pic is to low to read it.

A Latil was aready ruled out by a french truck forum. So what could it be? Ex- military?  In the Netherlands there were a lot of US vehicles in use but it might also be a french or belgian make as the border is very close.  It was used for towing heavy loads.

 

unknown_tractor.jpg

Edited by Citroman
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Citroman said:

This 4x4 tractor was in use in the south of our country before 1940. Anyone has an idea about the make? Yes it is written on the radiator but the resolution of the pic is to low to read it.

A Latil was aready ruled out by a french truck forum. So what could it be? Ex- military?  In the Netherlands there were a lot of US vehicles in use but it might also be a french or belgian make as the border is very close.  It was used for towing heavy loads.

 

 

Looking at the front axle, it does not appear to be driven so possibly not a 4x4?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It Looks like  beam axle to me if there is a diff  its not clear in the photo the highlighted part is the rear  diff. If lt was a 4x4  and a heavy hauler the diff banjo would be a large round casing at the front. This vehicle appears not to have one

Laurence

Link to post
Share on other sites

Until we see the actual axle it is a  pointless  debate.  the diff mounted on the axle is in fact a rear axle.and the spring mounted this way is to allow heavy loads to be carried without the axle being to high . Its an interesting layout not one I have seen

Regards

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would very strongly suggest that this truck has the same style of drive line as a Latil, ie the diffs are mounted onto the chassis and the drive (half) shafts have a UJ at both ends and a sliding joint to take up suspension movement. There is then a gear set in each hub to give a reduction and to lower the wheel centre relative to the drive shaft. This truck clearly has a straight beam axle with very prominent U bolts both front and back. This is well below wheel centre height so there is no question of a diff that is out of sight in that beam.

Could this be a Latil made under licence by another company ? It certainly looks like a Latil to me.

David

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, David Herbert said:

I would very strongly suggest that this truck has the same style of drive line as a Latil, ie the diffs are mounted onto the chassis and the drive (half) shafts have a UJ at both ends and a sliding joint to take up suspension movement. There is then a gear set in each hub to give a reduction and to lower the wheel centre relative to the drive shaft. This truck clearly has a straight beam axle with very prominent U bolts both front and back. This is well below wheel centre height so there is no question of a diff that is out of sight in that beam.

Could this be a Latil made under licence by another company ? It certainly looks like a Latil to me.

David

Agreed David, looking at the huge front overhang could it have had a nose job to fit a larger engine rather like the Scammell 100 tonners?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The truck was owned by a scrapdealer, so maybe there was something bolted together. Normally the shape of hubs and wheels are good indication for a maker, but i didn't find anything similar yet. 

Edited by Citroman
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did find something very similar, long nose, four wheel drive with the same type of axles, headlamps on the cab...an american Walter truck.

Only this is a bit older with massive tires.

image.png.32b970ef1d4c2e245ef779be718328a0.png

And a more recent one with the same shape of radiator and rounded chassis underside, what do you think of this

 

GW643H482-1.jpg

Edited by Citroman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Nick Johns said:

From Richards link above, the unusual Walter 4x4 transmission, using a gearbox transaxle unit, and locking differentials..at least 50 years before Audi perfected the same idea for the Quattro

4d0dfe51-b451-4fbf-876d-19de.jpg

Until we see the actual axle it is a  pointless  debate.  the diff mounted on the axle is in fact a rear axle.and the spring mounted this way is to allow heavy loads to be carried without the axle being to high . Its an interesting layout not one I have seen

Regards

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick Johns said:

From Richards link above, the unusual Walter 4x4 transmission, using a gearbox transaxle unit, and locking differentials..at least 50 years before Audi perfected the same idea for the Quattro

 

Also explains the ungainly set back front axle.

To be totally correct it was the VW Iltis that used the system first, 2 years ahead of Quattro.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...