Mystery Object No. 36

fv1609

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ideas?

Obviously not an execution wagon then :evil:

Looks like a narrow guage railway, with siding into a building, under which is 2 pits for bottom dump wagons or end dump, possibly for coal, the building would be on a high elevation ofr access to the material dumped in to the pit.

Doors on building to prevent persons falling down pit.........a bit of early H&S.

Obviously not an execution wagon then :evil:

Looks like a narrow guage railway, with siding into a building, under which is 2 pits for bottom dump wagons or end dump, possibly for coal, the building would be on a high elevation ofr access to the material dumped in to the pit.

Doors on building to prevent persons falling down pit.........a bit of early H&S.

Nope

Got a side view of it. Don't tell me it is some sort of super latrine? Didn't the army have it's own railway section based at Kineton?

Yes but I'm saving that if people run out of ideas.

Nope

I don't know about Kineton. I thought it was Longmoor was the military railway area. As I recall it was used for scenes in The Great St Trinians Train Robbery & in a Morecambe & Wise film where it was meant to be a railway in S.America.

I don't know about Kineton. I thought it was Longmoor was the military railway area. As I recall it was used for scenes in The Great St Trinians Train Robbery & in a Morecambe & Wise film where it was meant to be a railway in S.America.

Sorry yes, Longmoor wa sthe base but BAD Kineton had sevral locos running there, Woolwich had 120 miles of track, standard and narrow at one stage.

Sorry yes, Longmoor wa sthe base but BAD Kineton had sevral locos running there, Woolwich had 120 miles of track, standard and narrow at one stage.

Slightly off topic for a mo

There are still military railways at Kineton, Longtown, Eastriggs, Bicester & Marchwood, a lot of other depots also still have rail capabilities. Oh, and Longmoor Railway closed in 1969.

Anyway, I think the object is an ammunition loading shed for a fixed gun site.

Nige

the structure has a pit with an external entrance so I am guessing that it is a maintenance shed of some kind. The inlet pipes could be for drainage out that gets rid of any water build up or from a wash-down. The corrugated shelter is just a cover to the entrance.

How am I doing?