Land Rover 90 FFR

MARTIN CROSS

Finally got the lights sorted with new units and individual relay feeds to each filament.

The next job is to get more comfortable seats without spending much!

Will any seats bolt straight in or with minimal alteration? No underseat filler to worry about.

Also, I'm trying to source plugs to fit in the dashboard sockets so I can have a solar charger to top up the battery.

Thanks.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, MARTIN CROSS said:

The next job is to get more comfortable seats without spending much!

Will any seats bolt straight in or with minimal alteration? No underseat filler to worry about.

No, is the short answer. I have done this a couple of times and had to change them again. The seats have to be low enough that you can sit comfortably without the steering wheel jamming against your legs, it can be that bad really easily. After a while with seats that are a bit too high but seem OK you will get fed up with looking at the top of the wind screen.

I am sure others on here will know of seats that work  but I would advise taking your time to get the right ones. It can be done and it may mean modifying the seat fixings to lower them that little bit.

The perentie are fitted with Siri seats but they had to be modified and seem very good.

Iain

39 minutes ago, gordonb said:

When I was driving Series Landrovers every day (civvy not mil) we found the best seating was the standard base but with the de-luxe back. Note this is not the base as in the 90/110/Defender but a bigger non-sculptured base. Cheap and cheerful but did the job. 

Agreed, Land Rover ones are the best bet and there are comfy versions out there but new, even aftermarket can be expensive. You might come across some used "upgrade" seats if you search around.

Short people and higher seats do not always work in landrovers. We have had this situation before and had to make wooden extensions to the peddels, so the driver could reach them.

Not a modification advided for driving on the road. He still answers to SL (short legs).

Mick

Edited by 2691H

On 12/21/2019 at 1:10 PM, MARTIN CROSS said:

I'm short so just want a bit more height for me and more comfort for her!

ISTR  what I have fitted are the  front  'genuine'  Defender COUNTY  spec. seats  along with non-genuine rear tub forward facing seats but with identical matching trim .  These cushion/squabs give better lumbar support & hold you better when cornering - than the BASIC  Vynide (actually upholstery as MOD Spec. would only be the genuine bomb-proof  Vyanide in black or more probably Charcoal that was manufactured by Wardle Storey  - it was discontinued after the first few years) . Later stuff had a little stretch and not so durable. "replacement" spec. stuff is always £rap stretchy stuff. 

The COUNTY (de-luxe)  civvy Spec.  oatmeal colour/texture trim is quite acceptable but I always intended to get some olive drab duck covers , ISTR that Exmoor trim did these covers 'off-the-shelf' , possibly not so now - but easily run-up.