What British Tank is This ?

XS650

In the film the tanks are labelled as (Tetarch MkV11 Light tanks). One number seems to be T27619. One of the Morris C8s is Z4467019. I think. Greys monument is still there as is the junction of Pilgrim Street and Market street. They do not seem to have done much research into to the line of vehicles as some of the trucks are labled as Scammells

Edited by john1950
addition

6 hours ago, john1950 said:

In the film the tanks are labelled as (Tetarch MkV11 Light tanks). One number seems to be T27619. One of the Morris C8s is Z4467019. I think. Greys monument is still there as is the junction of Pilgrim Street and Market street. They do not seem to have done much research into to the line of vehicles as some of the trucks are labled as Scammells

Yes I was looking for the Scammells !

So given the vehicle mix anyone hazard a date ? To me there appears to be no vehicle that was made after the Valentine ( July 1941 ) so I would guess late 41 or 42 .

Edited by XS650

1 hour ago, XS650 said:

So given the vehicle mix anyone hazard a date ? To me there appears to be no vehicle that was made after the Valentine ( July 1941 ) so I would guess late 41 or 42 .

Apparently 59th (Staffordshire) Infantry Division was transferred to the recently reformed IX Corps in April 1941, but by November 1941 it had been sent to Northern Ireland.

So, given the date the Valentine was introduced, I'd say the parade took place in either August, September or October 1941.

No argument about the Valentine tanks, but the softskins are interesting.  I think the truck towing the 3.7AA is a Leyland Terrier - much rarer than the Retriever, and used for towing AA guns (though more often the 3inch) .  The searchlight truck behind it is the special searchlight bodied Retriever - nice to see what the inside looked like.  The 15cwt towing the 2 pounder is the portee version of the CS8 - apparently designed with the French 25mm gun in mind rather than the 2 pounder, but higher than the normal to allow more room to handle the gun.  Humber Mk 1 armoured cars too, earlier in the film

Edited by chrisgrove
  • Like 1

Are there any Terriers left, and is the only difference the 6 cylinder engine? Have you seen the photos of EME 990 A F.W.D. R6T-AEC 850 Towing a trailer with a Vickers Mk V1 tank on and towing a Bren Carrier behind. Or the Scammell Pioneer tank transporter with a cruiser tank on stuck in a traffic jam in Le Neubourg on the retreat to Dunkirk.

Edited by john1950
addition

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I have, I have read  that the Scammell  tank transporter was shipped out of France and served in the Western Desert campaign which I find quite remarkable given the panic at the time.

I have put together a little collection of BEF photos on Flickr-

BEF British Expeditionary Force Vehicles France 1939 1940,  Dunkirk

• Like 2