Stalwart wanted

Jimmy123

Hi, I am looking to buy a Stolly and I was wanting to know if there was one for sale in the uk? What sort of prices are they going for at the moment?

typically I have seen them for sale before but now I am in the market for one I am struggling to find one. 
I would be grateful for any help.

thanks In advance 

Thanks for both of those there is one that I just missed out on on milweb, and it appears tanksalot don’t have any at the moment. 
the one for sale on plant finder is at £9,500 and seems in the same condition as the last milweb stolly which sold for £3,750 I think. So I am a bit confused on the prices!

Jimmy,

I think that you will find that the difference is in the detail of its condition and not just whether it has a nice paint job.  For instance does the engine run perfectly?  When my Leyland Martian came back from Command workshops they said that it was missing because of a duff spark plug.  It turned out to be a broken exhaust valve seat!  Make certain that all the hub drives are intact.  What is the state of the wiring and plumbing?  Does it look as if it has come out of a base overhaul or has it been mucked about with?

Remember that any serious faults could be difficult and / or expensive to fix properly.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still looking for a stally? There is one about a 1/2 a mile from me that is just sitting there outside someone’s scrap yard. I spoke to the guy who owns it a couple of years ago and he said it was a runner and was taxed etc until 2017, but it hasn’t moved since then. It’s all there and the hatches are closed. I think he may have another 1 or 2 inside the yard. Not sure if they are for sale but might be worth a visit.

• 5 months later...

On the positive side, the tires still hold air. If it was in Australia, I wouldn’t hesitate, I would but tgat for that price. It’s a complete Resto, but I’ve done a Saracen and a ferret before, with a lot less. 

From the ones I have seen recently I reckon you would have to pay at least £5k to get a reasonable one. So many are parked outside with the drain plugs fitted and have become write-offs as the brakes, engine and transmission have filled with water. You want a good runner as B81s are starting to get scarcer. I wish I could afford one as they are amazing vehicles to drive and the sound of that exhaust is to die for.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:00 PM, OZITIM said:

On the positive side, the tires still hold air. If it was in Australia, I wouldn’t hesitate, I would but tgat for that price. It’s a complete Resto, but I’ve done a Saracen and a ferret before, with a lot less. 

There are only  Two operational Stalwarts in Australia and both are spoken for.

There are a few over in New Zealand, some come up for sale...……..may be cheaper than importing from UK.

Edited by 101 Ron

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...