Milweb prices

johnwardle

While browsing Milweb I am amazed at the prices that some seller's are asking for their vehicles, £15,000 for a UAZ469!!!! Even more optimistic a Diamond T 986 Wrecker in need of full restoration advertised at €123,456!!!!

Do these advertisers really expect someone to pay these asking prices?

Although I do know someone who advertised his Leyland Daf DROPS for £ 30,000 and sold it for the asking price, it was very tidy and had quite a few spares, but he was gob smacked that someone bought it for £30,000.

Now the lovely Albion CX22S That is a lovely truck, I often wondered where it went after 2008 Kemble MVT show, I was on the judging panel which awarded it 'Best Heavy Vehicle' before it deservedly won Best in Show, if only I had 12 grand spare.

I'm sure there are people buying these vehicles and realising very quickly they are out of their depth, as well as chancers trying it on to gullible people.

I bought a Spartan little realising what problems I was taking on, luckily I am more than capable of sorting it out.  There's a Shielder on ebay for £22k - honestly,  a vehicle with a spares problem to start with including track that's hard to obtain.

A 432 which has an asking price of more than a CVRT, is heavier, more difficult to work on - where's the sense in that?

Diana

5 hours ago, Diana and Jackie said:

I'm sure there are people buying these vehicles and realising very quickly they are out of their depth, as well as chancers trying it on to gullible people.

I bought a Spartan little realising what problems I was taking on, luckily I am more than capable of sorting it out.  There's a Shielder on ebay for £22k - honestly,  a vehicle with a spares problem to start with including track that's hard to obtain.

A 432 which has an asking price of more than a CVRT, is heavier, more difficult to work on - where's the sense in that?

Diana

What you say is quite true , however 'chancers'  - to me there are a few versions within vehicle circles.

A friend (deceased) of mine , intelligent (public school , county supported) , then salaried county  'official'  ,   his words to me was always  "information is power".  His step-dad had the village petrol station so he was always motors inclined.  His main interest for over 50 years was doing the deal ,  K9 was largest he would take on ,  Jeeps, Land Rovers, all MG and Spridgets.  When computers and forums came established - if he ever used it would be at work/library  ??      His whole business plan to me seemed faulted  (buy cheap,sell top$) ,   his working £ capital was always tied up in unsold stock-in-trade ,  I always commented - take up river club fishing and learn the pools , also if you take up spinning - don't try snatching.   Some people never learn ,  I doubt if the profitable deals balanced the loss deals.   However - the benefit was he loved touring the countryside meeting people with similar interests -  what price do you place  ?.

8 hours ago, Diana and Jackie said:

Diana

As an FV432 owner who has just spent most of the day fitting radios in a friend's CVRT I'm not convinced about the "more difficult to work on" bit!

Andy

4 hours ago, ruxy said:

What you say is quite true , however 'chancers'  - to me there are a few versions within vehicle circles.

A friend (deceased) of mine , intelligent (public school , county supported) , then salaried county  'official'  ,   his words to me was always  "information is power".  His step-dad had the village petrol station so he was always motors inclined.  His main interest for over 50 years was doing the deal ,  K9 was largest he would take on ,  Jeeps, Land Rovers, all MG and Spridgets.  When computers and forums came established - if he ever used it would be at work/library  ??      His whole business plan to me seemed faulted  (buy cheap,sell top$) ,   his working £ capital was always tied up in unsold stock-in-trade ,  I always commented - take up river club fishing and learn the pools , also if you take up spinning - don't try snatching.   Some people never learn ,  I doubt if the profitable deals balanced the loss deals.   However - the benefit was he loved touring the countryside meeting people with similar interests -  what price do you place  ?.

Yes, but dealing is fun !  My last three Disco my P38 and my new toy a V8 199 Disco 2 ES, all the bells and whistels, registerd  LPG , now modified are all built from bits of others. My current Disco has parts from last one on it. The V8 would have been an eye watering price when new.  Buy cheap and fix one out of three, by the time you sell the working one and the spares left over, you can make a profit.

Prices on Milweb in my opinion are at best optimistic - but if you the buyer and the seller are happy with what you pay then the price is just right.

Regards working on 432's easy if its engine related just lift it out, you only need a crane, lifting frame and straps at least 3-friends deep pockets and you are good to go. If you find it hard unrewarding work why own one

Other than the very wealthy investors or collectors of exotica mostly common sense does not really come into it. Its more emotional buying for whatever reason, we want it, if we can afford(within reason), we will buy it....

And why not.  If it makes you happy !  Plus there is the conservation of history.

Sellers often push it a bit far though.