BACK TO NORMANDY

Back in 1979 we went to NORMANDY in our Albion CX 22 with a group from DUXFORD . I was thinking of taking it back for the 2019 tour. But after thinking  it was to slow . To wide  and I was older than than the ALBION  . So I decided to take the INTERNATIONAL M-2-4.  witch is much more at home on the wrong side of the road.and much faster an can keep up any convoy. As the ALBION  would get would be left a long way back  .  Their where lots of changes in 40 years .  But  ARROMANCHES  BEACH  at 6am on 6 June  just like I rember 40 years & the parade through BAYEUK  was much larger and their lots more people   There are a few pictures of both Normandy tours  We did have a problem on the way to Portsmouth we blew a core plug luckily we had a spare mended it on the side of the A3  and made a temporary fix with a web of wood  against the dynamo  this got us to the ferry at Portsmouth and to Port en Bessie In the morning after taking the dynamo off the truck we were  able to fix the core plug in position correctly I would like to Thank all those who helped especially Gavin Copland from Jeep parts for TheLoan of his large hammer and his  last tube of Hematite We Able to travel around Normandy after the fix and get home without any further trouble and covered 580 miles in total 

Tony corbin

EC7167E5-D218-4A8C-91FB-3CF54C6364FB.jpeg

DADB3DDE-F362-433C-8067-8D865A6B4F51.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

However nostalgic it would be the thought of following an Albion CX-225 behind a Scammell Pioneer R-100 with their buddy a Leyland Hippo Mk-II bringing up the rear down the lanes of Normandy is  a trip you would remember. I'm sure quite a few people will be grateful they stayed at home this time in quiet retirement. Are the Albion and Hippo residents of Duxford while the Scammell departed that establishment many moons ago. The substitute to the Albion looks totally at home on the beaches of Normandy in keeping with the event you were marking if half a world away from its natural habitat of the Pacific campaign.

The photos from the Sixth M.V.C.G Normandy Tour are superb just seeing them here looking through them thanks for posting. Is that a White or Brockway being recovered from an embarrassing muddy predicament. Looks like the Albion is attached to the Scammell for anchorage during the winching operation. Wonder if the casualty came out of the mud quietly.

The International looks a really nice vehicle, sound like you had an interesting time on the rundown to the ferry lucky you had enough bits and bobs to do a temporary fix and lucky the Copemans were on hand to assist you in La-Belle-France.

More photos and anecdotes please of your commemorative trips to Normandy please