NYMR Wartime weekend

I agree,  when they transformed Levisham village into Le Visham a French village under German occupation it was very tastefully done.

I am fed up to the back teeth with these snowflakes that go out with the sole intention of being offended. We had the same at Lacock at War last year although it transpires that the complainant was having a go at the National Trust who she thought organised the show.

Having a military event without an enemy is like having a boxing match with only one person in the ring.

If anyone is wondering how I can have views on events in both Yorkshire and Wiltshire, I grew up in Ryedale and worked in and around Pickering for many years, I have ljved in the South West for about 30 years and I am the area secretary of the West Wiltshire MVT which organises Lacock at War, which has NOT banned German re-enactors  they chose not to attend this year.

Edited by johnwardle
Text added

11 hours ago, johnwardle said:

Having a military event without an enemy is like having a boxing match with only one person in the ring.

It is possible to argue that - seeing the Germans didn't get here in 1940, having them at a 'living history' event in the UK isn't very accurate... I'm sure I could think of a sarcastic phrase about 'having an Englishman in a Nazi uniform is like having a...' 

1 hour ago, Jolly Jeeper said:

It is possible to argue that - seeing the Germans didn't get here in 1940........

Except that Levisham station was renamed LeVisham for the event and was meant to be a French station in occupied Europe - hence the Germans. For me, the event lost its appeal a long time ago as less and less vehicls and dioramas attended each year. There use to be small dioramas scattered on just about every street corner, but they gradually faded away.

I used to spend Saturday driving from one station to the next, stopping for a while, looking around and moving on. Then the stations became less friendly towards vehicle owners and I gave up on it. There are far better events around that are more welcoming to those that make the event happen.

1 hour ago, Jolly Jeeper said:

It is possible to argue that - seeing the Germans didn't get here in 1940, having them at a 'living history' event in the UK isn't very accurate... I'm sure I could think of a sarcastic phrase about 'having an Englishman in a Nazi uniform is like having a...' 

Neither did the Americans, but there are plenty of American re-enactors at Pickering. There were a lot of Canadian in Ryedale during WW2, but you don't see many Canadian re-enactors at Pickering.

Before you start including the Germans in shows in the UK,  just remember many of us non snowflakes who lived during the war are still above ground.

We still have our memories and opinions of that time, so just wait till we are gone before you dress up as Jerry's.

I for one will never forgive the enemy for trying to blast me out of my cot.

I am not allowed free speech these days, so I can not address my feelings properly on this subject.

If it helps you understand my position, I stopped going to shows who invited the opposition years ago.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2691H said:

Before you start including the Germans in shows in the UK,  just remember many of us non snowflakes who lived during the war are still above ground.

We still have our memories and opinions of that time, so just wait till we are gone before you dress up as Jerry's.

I for one will never forgive the enemy for trying to blast me out of my cot.

I am not allowed free speech these days, so I can not address my feelings properly on this subject.

If it helps you understand my position, I stopped going to shows who invited the opposition years ago.

Well said......