Cvrt need help

Ronsandt

Ok all was fine then go to get her ready for show on thurs and drove her over to wash it. No problem. Get back in and won’t shift into forward or rev. Tryied not running ect. Finally got into rev and put her back in shed. Now won’t go into any again.? Found trans fliud was low don’t know why. Topped it off. Shift moves forward and reverse no problem but won’t gointo forward or reverse. Help. When running it grinds when trying to due so. Any help.?

Edited by Ronsandt

I’m ready to cry. 2 weeks ago shifted so smooth. Then out of the blue not thier.me and my son live on her fore 3 days at this show once a year. I only have so many years till he’s 18 and then who knows if I have my TC for this show! Don’t know if I should force it! We got it to go into rev once to put her away. But!

Unfortunately we can’t tell you how to fix it, you’ll need to do some work to diagnose the fault yourself. I would start by removing the cover at the top of the gearbox and operating the linkage and see what you can see. If you can’t get to the bottom of it then it sounds like you might be better off swapping it with your spare and investigating further when you get time?

highly unlikey its an internal gearbox fault-more likely to be the bell crank under the nearside radiator trunnion is fouling.

where the forward and reverse selector shaft comes out the top of the gearbox disconnect it from the linkage

now push or pull the rod as the engine is being started to see if it will fully travel all the way in and all the way out

what oil are you putting in the transmission Ron?

Ok it has 15w40 in everything (ect coolant and brakes) up date was just up their for 4 hours. Was thinking maybe it wasn’t fully engaged in nutraul. Well foot pedal adj. was all the way inane lock nut loose so I backed the rod out 1/2 way and locked it down. Lubed all again. Won’t go in not running. So we started it and   It was going in forwar and rev off and on. But I did it like 10 times . Now I had it at 600 rpm and it was grinding when trying . Why would the gear still be turning? The rod and linkage move very easy. Now haven’t run her in like a year. Is it poss just needs to be run to get stuff moving? 

Very interested in this. My Spartan can be a cow to change over. I did find that it was the engine revs at around 800 made it easier to change. But then on Saturday I had to turn the engine off to swap over. I have just done an oil change and put 15w40 in and 11.3 litres.

I have been told by a Scorp owner he cant swap over with the engine running at all so I thought this was a "general" problem

4 hours ago, Ronsandt said:

. Now I had it at 600 rpm and it was grinding when trying . Why would the gear still be turning? The rod and linkage move very easy. Now haven’t run her in like a year. Is it poss just needs to be run to get stuff moving? 

Could be weak springs in centrifugal clutch and it is dragging at 600 rpm, hence the grinding noise when trying to to shift forward/ reverse 

• Up 1

When changing from forward to reverse you need to pull the lever smoothly and firmly. If you are slow or hesitate and it drops into neutral you won’t be able to get it engaged again without a lot of grinding or stopping the engine. 

The clutch on the petrol engages at 800rpm so you will want the idle speed set lower than this.

• Up 1

57 minutes ago, sirhc said:

When changing from forward to reverse you need to pull the lever smoothly and firmly. If you are slow or hesitate and it drops into neutral you won’t be able to get it engaged again without a lot of grinding or stopping the engine. 

The clutch on the petrol engages at 800rpm so you will want the idle speed set lower than this.

Thanks for the tip, the idle is too slow at the moment, and needs adjusting up to 600-650. I just noticed that at 800 in changed without effort.

however the tip about one smooth action and once in neutral to stop the engine is very useful 

Has me wondering what other tips could be passed on 

• Like 1

Just now, Ronsandt said:

Yes but when motor is off it should shift . It’s hitting solid no give. Just 2 week ago it was so smooth. Well she’ll get run this week maybe it will loosen something up.ill let ya know sat night when we get home. 

I hope the gremlins have gone and it goes well and you have a great day :)

Look forward to hearing how it goes

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2019 at 5:52 PM, Ronsandt said:

Yes but when motor is off it should shift . It’s hitting solid no give. Just 2 week ago it was so smooth. Well she’ll get run this week maybe it will loosen something up.ill let ya know sat night when we get home. 

Not necessarily. This is a crash shift, no synchromesh, so if the gear teeth don't line up with motor shut off, they won't engage. Try kicking the motor over with the starter and trying again. 

I agree with sirhc, on a CVRT and a Ferret, you have to shift forward to reverse and vice versa very firmly, with no delay. And I mean firmly

Malcolm

5 hours ago, Ronsandt said:

Well I drove so much I ran out of gas at that show! I’m doing the shift while starting and it goes into forward and rev. But sometimes it still shifts easy. 

Hi, with my limited experience this is what I have found. One time the shift works as smooth as silk. The next time I have to stop the engine and restart as I change from forward to reverse (or reverse to forward). However I am looking forward to using Sirhc's advice about a smooth but firm change and not stopping when in the neutral position I am hoping this might improve the changing direction.

• 1 month later...

Changing from Fwd to Rev and visa Versa on the transfer box was always hit and miss on CVR(T). Try engaging it while stopping the engine. I.e. with the engine running move from fwd to rev or other way around and while pulling or pushing the lever switch off the ignition at the same time. You should feel the lever move fully into the engaged position.

That was the drill we used to have the drivers do if they had the same problem. 

• Thanks 1