WD/CO 1944 Royal Enfield

gary0003

Yes Gary I have a 1943 WD/CO from an RAF contract. I've just stripped the engine to get the crank assembly balanced as there is too much vibration for my liking. But I've also acquired the correct crankcases for my contract, so will rebuild it into those.

I also have several other models of WD Royal Enfield's Ron

CO 107.JPG

DSCF1835.jpg

• Like 1

sorry to butt into your thread Gary but while Ron is thinking about WD/CO's i wanted to ask him if the bracket for the nearside pillion foot peg is the same as the off side as the ones we got from Jan don't seem long enough meaning the peg doesn't fold up very well sticking out at about 45 degrees.

regards Ian C. 

Hi Ian

I don't think Gary will mind if we carry on this thread with more info on the CO.

The left side foot rest plate incorporates the field stand, and requires another field stand eye bolt #28416 (or similar) to hang the foot rest out far enough to clear the tool box.  Ron

DSCF1861.jpg

Scan_20190924.jpg

Edited by Ron

Ian, belay that information. I've just been chatting with Jan and we've discovered that there is some sort of discrepancy in the parts list. It clearly quotes 2 x eye bolt 28416. But these are only 1 3/8" long to the center of the foot rest pivot bolt. I've just measured mine which is about 2 1/8". which is sufficient to clear the tool box.  There is no mention in the parts list of this extra long eye bolt or a spacer for the standard eye bolt. 

Jan can easily rectify this problem and I think will make his own comments. Ron

Edited by Ron

Looks like the 1" 3/8 bolt was definitely used in 1942 (see 1942 picture below). I guess this was soon noticed and the factory may have fitted longer eye bolts for the footrests on later contracts. But the parts catalogues were never amended, up until the 1945 contracts they give the same number, being the number for the original 1" 3/8 bolt. 

field stand.jpg

I don’t think RE ever made a longer stud, all the brackets I owned were the standard length. The pegs just never closed fully. If you look at Rons longer stud you can see it’s circular with a machined flat end. I don’t see RE doing that, more than likely if it was to exist, it would be the same as standard but slightly longer.

I think you are right Chris, in all the pictures I have where you can see the left foot rest, the foot rest is either left down or in that halfway position. The pictures are all from around 1942 though. So unless a  picture from a later contract proves different......I guess that's how they were.

Leaving only a workshop or subsequent owner modification......Like mine!  Ron 

CO10.jpg

Hi Tom,

Just looking at your Austin Tilly pictures, and noticed that this is my late fathers  Austin Tilly. When we restored it in the mid 70s and my father was a member of the 39/45 Military vehicle group. I was  17 at the time as an apprentice autoelectrian and i made all the wiring looms for it, as per original. It was restored in desert colours with the desert Rat on the front. If you would like any more info please feel free to contact me my phone number is 07836601996 or Home number 01162478636.

Thanks Bob