WANTED - Humber 1 Ton Cab Roof Hatches

HubbyHumber

My Humber is missing both hatches (all 4 pieces). The better condition the better, but any condition that can be used as the basis for re-manufacture / restoration considered.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Adrian

• 7 months later...

No problem with hijacking the thread; good to hear from another Humber owner. weneed to all keep in touch more.

I'm afraid that I can't help with any of what you need: indeed I'm having to have a lot of custom made, expensive, repairs to my cab!

I think that the cabs are going to be Humber owner's biggest problem, but rear GS bodies somewhat less so … there was a chap in Classic Military (back in about 2015, I think - I could look it up) who had completely rebuilt a Humber (an excellent job) and had (so the article said) had a set of CAD drawings made for the remanufacture of the GS body, so I guess that if a solution to the problem of the cab could be investigated and a solution found, it might be that if enough Humber owners could get together a batch remanufacture could be considered?

Cheers

Adrian (HubbyHumber)

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck guys but I have an awful feeling that there are not enough Humbers left to justify re-manufacture. The best way might be to start a Humber 1 ton Facebook Group which might unearth some spares. Does anyone know how many are left in UK? There are possibly more in Australia where the climate was kinder to the bodywork.

Such a shame. They are lovely trucks but that double-skinned cab was so rust prone. I had a beauty which I would like to buy back. The cab was lead-loaded which shows what an incredible build standard they were made to. I'll keep my eyes open for any spares . I have some mechanical parts and also some PIG parts as I've owned three over the years.

I assume that everyone knows about the HUMBER-FV1600 user group on Yahoo, with around 80 members. Can be particularly useful for info / help and acquiring / disposing of all matters FV1600 across the community of Humber 1 ton owners.

It is sad but it was sacrificed for the greater good to keep a Hornet still running. When I bought the 1601 it was in a bad state it cost me £100 + £100 to get it home.. I needed to get the flywheel off as some buffoon had burnt out the clutch on the Hornet & cracked the flywheel.

One torsion bar went to a Mk 2 Pig that had snapped snapped a bar & the rear wheel stations went to Pigs. The engine was scavenged for spares.

The cab was pretty far gone when I got it.

I cannibalised a veh in a similar state in Beds last year. Took every useful component off it. The rad and the oil cooler were subsequently stolen from my location. The engine was sold to me as complete but no crank appeared and the conrods had no caps,  tanks to the buffoon who sold me the lot and the block has been bored out to what seems to be B61 spec, certainly much bigger than the pistons that came with it. No idea why he did that. 

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, rupert condick said:

Hi

As I was looking for Humber information,

About 150 Humber 1 ton CT  (1955) were listed in the Australian Army.

no's ARN  105671-105823, thes records are quite poor,

Based in Victoria, i have not seen any about.

regs

Rupert

There are several in collectors hands in Victoria. One had a ground up restoration a few years back and looks like new.