Jeep 'Difficulty' that May also affect Others!

ferretfixer

Good Morning Erstwhile fellow Members!

I have just acquired a very nice example of a Willys MB. This is the third Jeep I have owned over the years.

It has been 20 years since I last owned one, & I have discovered an 'Alarming Difficulty'!...….. 😨

Do these Vehicles 'Shrink' with age? Because my Attention got VERY focused when I 'slipped' behind the

Steering Wheel!...  I recall getting in the drivers seat VERY easily. But upon receiving the Vehicle & climbing

in.  I was 'Disconcerted' to discover that the Steering Wheel protruded into my Stomach!..... Although I can

Obviously drive the Jeep.  It is not as 'comfortable' to drive like this! 

As all Owners & other affectionardo's will know already.  There is no facility to Adjust the drivers seat forwards,

or indeed rearwards.  

My question being: How have others who have encountered this problem overcome it. WITHOUT having to

Cut into ANY of the Body Tub rear wheel arches?  There may be a simple 'conversion' that I m not aware of?

I look forward to your advice ( Not on Dieting though! ) 😁

Cheers!    Mike.

MB/GPW Jeeps are one size fits all, as you say apart from cutting a notch into the wheelbox to move the seat back there is no other way to improve driving position, I have owned Jeeps that the driving position was different it was because the backrest of the seat was bent back a bit that gave bit more room,  perhaps try some spacer washers under the two front  mounts that would tilt the seat back a bit, thin backrest padding too.  The later CJ Jeeps had a notch pressed into the dashboard to raise the angle of the steering column

Edited by Nick Johns

You could cut the seat frame where the side rails curve upward and extend them perhaps an inch or two without cutting into the wheel arch. Mine shown below is standard, but leg length, not belly size is my problem. Since I have very long lower and upper legs compared to my torso size, I drive with my thighs almost parallel to the steering wheel to get my feet on the pedals, with all my weight taken by my spine and coccyx, rather than supported by my thighs. I have to climb in putting one knee under the steering column and sliding across because my knees extend too far beyond the column once seated.

seat.jpg

I was thinking along the lines of a 'quick fix', by bending the seat rails forward approx an inch.

Or making A couple of short extention plates, bolted to the floor front seat mounts.

And then into the original drilled floor holes, to push the seat back that extra bit. But still Ridgely

Secured?  Or washers added to give a little extra rake, as He also suggested. Washers would be the better

Option I think?

12 hours ago, Jessie The Jeep said:

You could cut the seat frame where the side rails curve upward and extend them perhaps an inch or two without cutting into the wheel arch. Mine shown below is standard, but leg length, not belly size is my problem. Since I have very long lower and upper legs compared to my torso size, I drive with my thighs almost parallel to the steering wheel to get my feet on the pedals, with all my weight taken by my spine and coccyx, rather than supported by my thighs. I have to climb in putting one knee under the steering column and sliding across because my knees extend too far beyond the column once seated.

seat.jpg

Hi, Had the same problem myself. I modified the seat and found the seeting position comfortable. Fate had it the I had a health problem and lost a lot of weight, so I bought a replacement. I've still got the modified seat if your interested. Wouldn't want much for it, but being a odd shape, i'm not sure how much shipping would be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, welshbayonetww2 said:

Hi, Had the same problem myself. I modified the seat and found the seeting position comfortable. Fate had it the I had a health problem and lost a lot of weight, so I bought a replacement. I've still got the modified seat if your interested. Wouldn't want much for it, but being a odd shape, i'm not sure how much shipping would be.

Hello Buddy! I would be most interested it getting that seat. Shipping would be VERY easy via Hermes.

How much would you like for it? If you go onto the Hermes website. There is a facility to give you a price for carriage.

When you put the weight of an item in.   Thank you so much. Go to PM if you wish on this?

Unless you are coming to W&P this year? In which case I could pay you & collect the seat there?

Edited by ferretfixer

4 hours ago, monty2 said:

it is not the jeep shrinking it is you belly slowly extending through the years 🙂

I thought my Initial post was stating this, but in an 'Amusing' way? Obviously everyone else got the Humour in it....You obviously didnt pick up on it? Must be a Dutch thing?... 🙄

Edited by ferretfixer

On 7/15/2019 at 7:56 PM, ferretfixer said:

I thought my Initial post was stating this, but in an 'Amusing' way? Obviously everyone else got the Humour in it....You obviously didnt pick up on it? Must be a Dutch thing?... 🙄

I am Dutch too and did get it.☺️

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 7:20 PM, john1950 said:

Washing the jeep to much makes it shrink. Or leaving it out in the rain.

The rain has made most of my Jeep disappear not shrink. I have a little floor left and lost about 30% of the sides. It it were smaller I’d have less welding to do!