Clansman 5.4m Mast, parts

I have just been going through the manual and comparing it with the mast I have bought, some parts are missing but hope to source them.

The question I have what is the throwing line made of, 3mm braided? or made up with what's available, also I assume this is weighted and what would be the weight?

Also looking for information on the whip aerial and the wire antenna

page 2.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

The form of whip based on the 5.4m mast that  I have come across has a metal adapter that fits in the top of the upper fibreglass tube to hold as many as 3 or 4 normal 1m vehicle whip sections at the top of the mast, and a wire connected to the adapter, slightly longer than the mast, leads down to the "antenna" terminal of a UK/PRC-320 at ground level (or a UK/VRC-321 TURF remoted from the set). With a decent set of counterpoise wires and a suitable number of rods this covers approximately 7MHz up to 12MHz as a 1/4 wave vertical and 21MHz upwards as a 3/4 wave. The Clansman ATUs will extend this range downwards quite a bit because they add series inductance at the bottom of the wire (like the coil at the bottom of a CB antenna).

What you do need to avoid is a length of wire + rods that is naturally a 1/2 wave because that has a very high impedance at the ends which is hard for an ATU of the design used in the 320 and TURF25W to match to 50 ohms.

Iain