Not sure if anyone can help but I have a Bedford RL Green Goddess and she is misfiring do the HT leads have a special sequence or would it be that the timing is out.

She has been stood still for nearly 10 years.

Well, that could be caused by numerous different things if it has been stood for ten years. But if it has been stood in a heated garage or outside on the beach would make the biggest difference.

Assuming outside, a best bet would be electrics or sticking valves.

you could pull off one plug lead at a time with engine running to see if one of them doesn’t make it run worse. If You find removing a particular plug lead makes no difference, that will be the one to start checking out.

Plug leads need to be in sequence 1-5-3-6-2-4. I cannot remember which way the rotor arm turns. but if you turn the crankshaft with the distributor cap off you will see if it goes clockwise or anti clockwise. Then you can work out where to start with number one. Give the points a clean while you are in there.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-ht-lead-ignition-spark-plug-testers-4-pack/61411

Even with screened HT wires (if you have them)  there are ways to connect these to see if you have good healthy delivery to plugs, problem is you will have to buy  two packs = £20  ,  or do the tests in two stages  .  Used at dawn/dusk and it should be like Blackpool under-bonnet ..

15 hours ago, john1950 said:

Plug leads need to be in sequence 1-5-3-6-2-4. I cannot remember which way the rotor arm turns. but if you turn the crankshaft with the distributor cap off you will see if it goes clockwise or anti clockwise. Then you can work out where to start with number one. Give the points a clean while you are in there.

Have a good spark and ticks over nicely but back fires as soon as we increase the revs could this be anything to do with the coil pack

Sounds more like ignition timing. I just used to set them by ear. mark the distributor position, undo the pinch bolt and move it slowly one way and then the other stop when it sounds right. you can also set it to the marks but a quick way to check it is the simplest and you get the results as it is running. If it sound as if it is fighting the starter while you are starting it, it is to far advanced. Could be a problem with the vaccume pipe for the advance and retard if it has a one fitted it could have a leak. I would then be looking into the carburettor for blocked jets and gung.  Its been a long time since I worked on Bedford petrol engines I think about 50 years.

Edited by john1950
addition

Did you crank the starter with plugs out  ?  A caring previous owner , if he knew he was laying it up for years could have squirted oil through the plug holes and cranked it over (some stick a rag up the tail-pipe to stop damp air entering).   Alternatively he may have choked it down with RedeX down the carburettor ,  I tend to use outboard motor winterizing fluid down -  if any of this has been done , then you will get back-firing on start up  & oiled plugs (I have blown rusty silencer boxes apart).  If such procedures have been done , after ignition and fueling checks - then I would be thinking - sticking valve(s).

Hi.  Having problems with Bedford engines in the past, having purchased an RL Recovery that had been off the road for many years, it too back fired and would not run correctly.  The remedy to this was setting the points correctly, which took some time to perfect.  Once set, it has run perfectly since.  The other problem you may find, as it is running fine at idle, is the accelerator pump may be stuck in the carburettor body, which will give you a backfire when you try to accelerate the engine.  This can be freed up by removing the carburettor and gently warming with hot water or hot air until it becomes free.  Hope this helps.  Cheers.