Matchless 3GL parts needed

Rumster

Hi folks,

I thought I would ask if anyone has any of the bits I need to finish off the bike as I’m struggling to find them.

battery box holder - side stand - speedo bracket - oil tank cap - fag end rear light (might go down the repo route as I know these are rare) rear pillion seat as I really don’t like the one currently on.

Thanks in advance

Colin

BCF2DA2D-4414-4518-A92D-57E4806AB4D3.jpeg

Cornucopia has NOS parts for the Matchless from time to time......I think I bought my battery holder from them.  Ron will correct me, but I think the side-stand is just a civvy pattern one with an oval foot welded on, so one could be made up.  Keep an eye on eBay.  Post a want entry on the BSA M20 site.

Hi Ferg,

Thanks for that, I’ve been keeping my on eBay, is the oil tank cap the same as the petrol tank cap fitment wise? As you said before it’s a bit of a mind field with parts and what fits, you can end up buying the wrong stuff.

Cheers

Colin

2 hours ago, matchlesswdg3 said:

Cornucopia has NOS parts for the Matchless from time to time......I think I bought my battery holder from them.  Ron will correct me, but I think the side-stand is just a civvy pattern one with an oval foot welded on, so one could be made up.  Keep an eye on eBay.  Post a want entry on the BSA M20 site.

Welding a foot onto a civvy one is exactly what we did on my sons G3l. Oil and fuel caps are the same.

The civvy stand was already on the bike when my son bought it,so it was just a case of himm copying the foot on my bikes stand then welding it on,

Ron is absolutely right about trying either Steve or Les for parts,both are very helpful. The other thought is the Kempton Autojumble - Steve Surbey is usually there and we often arrange to collect parts from him there to avoid postage costs.

Re the rear fag end light, bear in mind that current road regs mean that you have to make some changes to the original WW2 military spec to display reg number and just be safe with a decently visible rear and brake light.  There are some neat solutions to this you can check out.  I have gone the route of using the standard round Lucas light which has the right look, but is beefier than a WD fag end.  On the pillion seat you have, it looks similar to an original.....more than one type!  Be wary before you discard!  You could also swap out your rubber petrol feed pipes for the correct copper tubing........and put up with the greater likelihood of failure!  Some mods just make the bike nicer to ride and easier to maintain.

That's a repro Lucas MT110 which was a period lamp and nowadays comes with a twin filament bulb. Cheap as chips and the best way to go. A genuine MT110 can be up to £200 and more on ebay.  Ron

Edited by Ron

Hi Rumster, what is a fag end rear light look like I have one about 1 inch D and about 2 to 2 half inches long with a window for number plate light, all so I have 2  pillion seats I think thy have 4 springs nearly square with a very small lip on the back.  hope you under stand this.                                                                                                     gordon giles

The first pattern 'Lucas MCT1 (fag end) had a rubber seal, latter patterns didn't.. Late war they introduced the MCT1A (A=aperture for number plate illumination)  There was even a lens cap with a tiny pin hole red lens for extreme black out conditions. 

This first one is one of a few NOS ones that I've had, but hard to find nowadays (There are some cheap and nasty Indian copies around)   Ron

taillight04.jpg

taillight05.jpg

"The first pattern 'Lucas MCT1 (fag end) had a rubber seal, latter patterns didn't.. Late war they introduced the MCT1A (A=aperture for number plate illumination)  There was even a lens cap with a tiny pin hole red lens for extreme black out conditions - Ron"

Correct Ron....the first pattern MCT1 had the rubber seal around the lense cap to assist waterproofing, but this was discontinued 1942-43 due to the shortage of rubber......

First (1940-41) pattern lense cap had the tiny "pin hole" aperture in line with the strict blackout regulations then in force, therefore acquiring the term "fag end" lamp...........this was soon replaced (1942-ish) by the larger lense cap as regulations eased but still without the lower aperture to illuminate the number plate, etc..........third pattern came in during 1945, same lense but now with the lower aperture.........the tail lamp body now incorporated the "MCT1A" designation for the complete assembly as supplied, earlier lamp bodies either bearing the "MCT1" designation or nothing at all...............

Below is an image of my 1942 W/NG with the 1st pattern lense fitted onto a later body...........swapping/mis-matching of component parts often occured and invariably older stocks were used up first......

006.jpg