Wanted: Iltis!

ferretfixer

Just a toe in the Water here!......ย  I have been thinking about a VW Iltis for some time now.

I wish I had bought that Ex Castle Martin oneย  that was on here for a while.

A couple of years ago. But I wasnt looking for one then!.....๐Ÿ™„

Anyone got a decent Ex Military One for sale?

No rot or Damaged 'Specimen's' please!ย ๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ณ

On the Road, & ready to drive off only!ย ๐Ÿ‘Œ

22 hours ago, ferretfixer said:

Just a toe in the Water here!......ย  I have been thinking about a VW Iltis for some time now.

Make sure you have a drive in one first, they have a very short wheelbase due to the set back front axle derived from the Audi type gearbox with the engine well forward.

48 minutes ago, Citroman said:

The joke in Belgium over the poor road ability of the iltis was that they were really made for winding off-road tracks...

Citroman,Can you explain by what you mean by 'Poor Road Ability' Please?

I am very interested to know.

Edited by ferretfixer

3 hours ago, ferretfixer said:

Citroman,Can you explain by what you mean by 'Poor Road Ability' Please?

I am very interested to know.

They drive like a blivot due to the poor design as I mentioned above.ย  I have only ever driven a brand new one in the UK many years agoย andย I was not impressed, a used one is going to be even worse.

19 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

They drive like a blivot due to the poor design as I mentioned above.ย  I have only ever driven a brand new one in the UK many years agoย andย I was not impressed, a used one is going to be even worse.

Interesting, as I have seen comments somewhere. Where an owner state he likes to 'Drive it fast'!.....

Would you do that if it was unstable / unsafe? My question would be: If these were designed & used for MANY years by the Military. If they were that bad, why did they keep them in service? it dosent make sense?.....๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Also, I might be a bit thick! but what is a Blivot?

Edited by ferretfixer

While I am not the worlds biggest fan of the Iltis, they were not a bad wagon at all in my humble opinion. As a two person liaison vehicle they did what they were supposed to do on and off road. Frankly anything can get stuck, I recall a Mercedes Unimog on tarmac in a parking lot with 1 inch of snow stuck . . .

They fit in a normal garage and many of the parts are available as take off or new through wreckers or the VW system..

Over here they were the last manual gearbox gas (petrol) powered vehicle in regular service. I have not heard of the diving in the corners, I think there may be some very enthusiastic drivers out there. Once they write something it becomes lore.

If you want something with more ability then buy something bigger and spend more money.

I never thought I would defend an Iltis but there you have it. Off for my supper now.

ย 

ย 

• 5 months later...
On 4/20/2019 at 4:03 PM, ferretfixer said:

Did you find one?ย  I just bought my second.