RAF Blue Jeep

AmphibAndy

Thanks for the photos John, what book are they from as the 3rd photo interests me most. would they of been Blue/grey or Olive drab ?

I notice the jeep is using american blackout lights as side markers rather than Butlers, I presume in times of war anything goes. Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the photos John, what book are they from as the 3rd photo interests me most. would they of been Blue/grey or Olive drab ?

I notice the jeep is using american blackout lights as side markers rather than Butlers, I presume in times of war anything goes. Ian

British jeeps had the standard US blackout marker lights retrofitted onto the wings to comply with British traffic regs. I am not convinced that Butler sidelights were used until postwar - I have certainly never seen a wartime photo showing them.

• 11 years later...

Resurrecting my old thread ,  after starting on the restoration of our second Jeep I got side tracked by quite a few other machines!  Ah well, its almost done now and looks resplendent in its RAF Blue Grey.   My Dad passed away back in December of last year , aged 96 , but I know he is looking down in full approval of it being in this colour.  Here he is driving the COs Jeep in Burma, and here is his Willys MB about to launch onto the scene albeit later than first hoped!

5291E21F-B91E-484D-8C6B-F3A47ADD3ADD.jpeg

19CABA3D-F4A5-4DC9-991D-15573654FDCB.jpeg

• Like 3