RAF Blue Jeep

AmphibAndy

I am starting the restoration of my second Jeep which I rather fancy restoring as an RAF example as the other is US khaki. My father used to drive them in Burma in WW11. So my questions are, does anyone have any photos of the sort of specification, colour, markings etc and would they have been originally khaki and then resprayed in blue? So to restore with all parts including chassis and axles in blue may not be correct. Anyway any thoughts of knowledge woudl be appreciated. thx Andrew

Hello

Actually everybody is right.

I have seen orders stating that RAF vehicles in operational theaters were to be painted camouflage. I have also seen photos of them in Britain painted blue. Then there are some photos of the ones in the far east, which were Khaki or some other solid green. So it depends on where you wish to have it representing.

The same thing went for RCAF vehicles.

Eric

Eric

I assume the pictures showing the Blue jeeps are in colour?

Any chance of some book/photo references as I would be interested to see.

I think most people would still consider that any blue vehicles would be very much the exception, and probably the product of an enterprising individual using up prewar paint stocks.

Hello

Unfortunately i do not have any photos of the blue jeeps. A friend who works for somebody who collects WW2 Vintage Fighter Aircraft has film footage in their collection with a blue jeep seen briefly in one of the shots.

I have seen a black and white photo of a gray jeep for the RCN. It was parked next to an CDN Army jeep and the colour was noticeably different.

I have heard from veterans as well that some were blue.

There are some photos on somebodies web page with Tactical Airforce Jeeps, which are a solid green. Similar to the one in this forum.

Eric

well, this is very interesing. I have been talking to my father who served in the RAF from 1943 to 7 and he assures me that the vehicles were all blue. He served in Burma and drove a Jeep every day and it was blue!

Andrew,

For me this would be enough reason to paint my jeep blue-grey. Do it while he still can enjoy it, too.

Hanno

I am starting the restoration of my second Jeep which I rather fancy restoring as an RAF example as the other is US khaki. My father used to drive them in Burma in WW11. So my questions are, does anyone have any photos of the sort of specification, colour, markings etc and would they have been originally khaki and then resprayed in blue? So to restore with all parts including chassis and axles in blue may not be correct. Anyway any thoughts of knowledge woudl be appreciated. thx Andrew

Heres a couple of pics from Burma taken by my grandfather, Both RASC not RAF but it does show that the perfection we see today was probably not the case

• 3 weeks later...

A quick read of "The jeep in British Army Service" will make you soon realise that jeeps were heavily adapted in the field. Having all sorts of various body modifications (theres one with a corrugated tin roof!), various tyre combinations, various paint schemes etc. If a jeep saw service it more than likely had some adaption to it, even the paint work from what I know. A "perfect" jeep probably only existed on the factory floor.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Hi Guys I'm just about to change my olive drap scheme 44 GPW to RAF blue/grey. any ideas on lettering paint scheme or even photos would be realy appreciated. thanks

Try to get hold of Jeep Pictorial,by John Havers,ISBN 0 946784 70 1. Excellent pictures of RAF jeeps. They all have an RAF roundle on the bonnet and below the windscreen instead of the invasion star. If you have no luck finding the book I will download the pictures. These jeeps were serving in the Balkans and in France after D day. John.

Try to get hold of Jeep Pictorial,by John Havers,ISBN 0 946784 70 1. Excellent pictures of RAF jeeps. They all have an RAF roundle on the bonnet and below the windscreen instead of the invasion star. If you have no luck finding the book I will download the pictures. These jeeps were serving in the Balkans and in France after D day. John.

Hi John I tried Amazon, Ebay and a few others but could not locate this book, could you send me a link please mate or a few photos if its not to much trouble ? thanks a lot Ian