Clansman 3 Distribution Box

Surveyor

They are both Power Distribution Boxes 'PDB', but the one in the upper photo (NSN ending 9550) is a PDB 3-Way for use in 24 volt Fitted For Radio 'FFR' vehicles, whereas the one in the lower photo (NSN ending 9888) is a PDB GS for use in 12 volt General Service vehicles with 'clip-in' manpack radio fits.

The PDB 3-Way - so called as it has 3 x 2-pin sockets each with its own fuse holder - was the most common PDB for 24 volt FFR vehicles, Mounted on dexian racking using two bolts, nuts, washers and spacers through two holes on either a woven belting mount or a solid plate mount fitted to its rear, it may have a short earth lead which is also bolted onto the dexian. It obtains its supply from a pair of the red and black screw headed terminals on the batten box through the red/brown and blue hook-ended lugs. Generally it powers Clansman VRC radios and secure speech equipment directly, and PRC Ni-Cad radio batteries through a 28 volt Direct Current Charging Unit 'DCCU'  but it can also be used for any Clansman ancillary or other item like the penthouse/map reading lights which are 24-32 volt supply rated.

The Power Distribution Box GS (lower photo) only has a single 2 pin socket with a fuse, and is usually permanently mounted on the rear of the cargo area bulkhead (opposite side to the driver and passenger seats) and earthed to the vehicle chassis. It obtains its supply from the vehicle's electrical system..Its primary purpose is to supply a 14 volt DCCU used to charge/float charge a Clansman  manpack Ni-Cad radio battery.

I hope this helps, but feel free ask if you need more clarification.

Thanks for a great explanation, I think I have all the parts bar cables to start fitting out, the cables are being collected next week hopefully along with a collection of manuals.

I am learning from point zero so every scrap of information is like gold dust.

The Land Rover as far as I called tell was FFR, there is a dexion frame, mounting for both ATU box on wings and candle stick on sided

Richard

Thanks Richard

Has it got a 90 amp alternator under the bonnet? If it has then it is a 24 volt FFR.

For basic reference on FFRs (assuming it's a Defender) have a look at chapters 1-2, 2-2 and 3-2 in Army Equipment Support Publication 2320-D-122-201 Operating Information Land Rover 90/110/127 - which you can search online for as a PDF document which has been published under a Freedom of Information Request.

For a complete reference for Clansman equipment search online for 'UK PRC 320 infantry signal training pdf',  the search results should include a link called 'File: UK-PRC 320 Infantry Signal Training pdf - RadioNerds' which is the Infantry Signal Training Pamphlet 41 Part 4 Equipment and its Operation (Clansman) which covers radios and ancillaries, batteries and chargers, basic vehicle installation and harness, test kits, antennas and masts.

Skip

There are 2 alternators under the bonnet, will find out better when I get the beast back as in garage at the moment undergoing repairs

Think I have the training manual you have mentioned but will look for these manuals, must start filing them so I can find them

Richard

Edited by Surveyor