Kawasaki KLR 250 Canadian Forces 95-10919

robin craig

Last week I was alerted to one of these machines being available of an internet site locally to me, 2 hours drive rates as local in these parts.

I already own one such machine as per my signature block, but I had a bit of a plan in mind.

I spoke with the seller mid week and managed t secure first crack at it on the basis that it is going to be restored.

On Saturday armed with cash I set off and arrived to find the machine on a trailer recently liberated from an ice bound shed, we are still in winter here.

Having been stung with one of these machines before, I am now very gun shy and know a lot about them, I had tried to get the VIN before going to match against Canadian Forces sales documents but buddy couldn't produce that which gave me concerns.

As soon as I saw it I was relieved to see some small markings that gave away it's heritage and not just a green painted civvy machine. Also the hard to find plastic panniers and rear rack was with it but off to one side.

While the front mudguard and the headlight surround are a civvy colour painted military green that is often the way they were repaired as parts were sourced from local suppliers.

Anyway, once home a friend confirmed the VIN matched the army number and so I was relieved my judgment was sound.

As I have a VW  engine that needs rebuilding for another project and a friend who had to sell his MT500 a coule of years ago under the worst circumstances and is a VW whizz we have struck a deal that the bike will go to him in exchange for him rebuilding the engine, fair exchange is no robbery. He is delighted to be getting it just as I will be delighted to get the engine.

I could have easily gotten this machine sorted out and running and cleaned up and turned a profit but I have decided to go this route so that I can ride with my mate at shows as we work with the same museum collection. Also he was gutted to get rid of his machine and he deserves some goodness in his life.

There were only 77 of these machines in total so finding it and securing it was a good bit of fortune.

KLR 10919 side fwd.jpg

KLR tank flag cfr 10919.jpg

KLR 10919 side rear.jpg

KLR 10919 tank CFR.jpg

KLR VIN decal 10919.jpg

• Like 1