Mk1 lightweight trailer

MB1944

Hi Guys

I am currently restoring a Mk1 lightweight trailer which I believe was made by SS cars, unfortunately there are no data plates present.

The rear panel has been cut out and the top half used to make a tail gate. I am told that the trailer was adapted to mount a diesel welder,  it would appear

that leakage of diesel and engine oil into the trailer has helped to preserve it so, thankfully there is no rot at all.

In the floor at the back of the trailer there are two threaded bushes welded in, thread appears to be 3/8 BSP. Are these original drain holes or have they been added later.

I have also found extensive stress fracturing around the damper mountings,  is this a common occurance?

Would somebody be kind enough to give me the length and hole positions of the front and rear steady legs as they are both missing?

Best regards

John

The 3/8 bps holes are original drain holes. Just use brass plugs from underneath. 

Stress fractures were on mine too, but as I replaced the whole lower 6”, it wasn’t a problem. Made up complete new mounts with brass  bushings as original. Made a complete back end for mine, as the same, cut and converted to drop down tailgate. You might find the heavy C section below used as a stiffener is actually one half the drawbar!😳

have your leg holes got securing pins to keep the legs secure or a screw and pinch bolt design?

pin securing is normally SS Cars. Pinch bolt is Orme Evans, as is one of mine. 

I have two spare damaged legs I can get sizes from, also the tube gauge and foot size (4 1/2” or 5” I think)

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply, I will have to have to get some brass plugs, do you know if they had square ends for spanner? The front leg has securing pin there is no clamp, as for the back leg I do not know as I presume that the back end of the drawbar was  chopped when the tail gate job was done. I have welded on replacement C sections and now need to bend the 3/16 plate to make the rear hitch plate.

I would be grateful if you could let me have the dimensions and hole sizes and positions for the steadies.

Best regards

John

Will do John, have to get to workshop this weekend and have a look. 

Im looking for a spare lunette for a second trailer if you see one on your travels. 

As I rebuilt most of mine from scratch using pics, parts lists and dimensions from friends, I upgraded my steadies as I had to fabricate new drawbar and mounts anyway. I’ve used a heavier tube as originals tend to bend

let you know later

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for delay John, had load on and workshop jobs are on hold.

measured the spare legs I’ve got, 

Long leg  30 1/2” long overall,  1” ID,  1 3/8” OD. Round base 4” diameter bout 1/8” thick. Two holes, First hole 7 1/2” from base, second hole 24 1/2” from base

Short leg  24” long overall,  same diameter as long leg and base.

Three holes, first hole 8 1/2” from base, second 13” from base and last 20” from base. This one has the open end capped off with welded plate where is the long one has open end.

i made mine out of heavier gauge tube as they get bent easily and thicker base. I capped both mine off on top to keep crap out.

hope this helps. 👍