Electric Cable Identity Tags

Zero-Five-Two

Question

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Zero-Five-Two said:

Anybody know if you can still get these yellow cable tags anywhere?

Hi Rob,

I have recently been making a wiring harness for an old British armoured vehicle and used yellow heatshrink sleeving, found a fine point permanent marker pen called a Sharpie. You can easily write on the sleeving before heating and when it shrinks down it looks like original, and very professional !!

regards, Richard

Thanks for the replies, simple ideas are always the best.  Heat shrink sounds ideal because once shrunk on it wont slide up the cable.

Not sure about my scribbly hand writing using a sharpie, but the dymo printer could be the way to go.  I presume you feed the heat shrink into the print cartridge somehow?  Any idea how permanent the finished lettering is?

It's not a cheap way to go, as a Rhino 4200 costs about 70 quid, and you buy the cartridges with the heatshrink in it ready to go at 19 quid for 1.5 metres (although that would make a lot of tags).  See:

http://www.labelzone.co.uk/dymo-rhino-4200-hand-held-label-printer/p2842#tdesc_9

http://www.labelzone.co.uk/s0718270-6mm-yellow-rhino-heat-shrink-tubing/p432

They appear on ebay from time to time as well.  Not sure how long-lasting they are, so you'd want to check that out before spending a lot of money, but it is meant for professional applications.

Note that some of the Larkspur radio kit from the 50s used heatshrink with hand-written labelling as well.

Thanks ChrisC. I've done a bit more research since my earlier post, found an even cheaper source of tubing. £5 at time. Works out at about 6p per label, once you own a printer. Which doesn't sound too bad. So I can see an investment going on here, could end up with a nice little business opportunity happening, printing tags for other people too