Motorist sparks outrage after he parks a military 'tank' on a residential street in Manchester for months

Surveyor

With regard to parking a vehicle on the footway highway law deems it to be an offence to drive on/along the footway, but not illegal to park on a footway (unless there is some local bylaw to that effect).

As for obstruction of the footway by a parked vehicle providing there is 1200mm clear footway action is unlikely to be taken against a motorist, again with the proviso that there is not a traffic order to that effect.

The local highway authority may take a dim view however should it be possible to prove that damage has occurred due to the tracks slewing etc....

Apparently motor vechiles over 2500 kgs gross vehicle weight have to be lit between sunset and sunrise and no parking 10 meters or less to a road junction.

so in theory a l322 Range Rover which has a kerb weight of 2.7 ton needs lights on at night when parked!

4 hours ago, MB1944 said:

I understand that it is an offense to park a vehicle on the pavement and could be given a ticket by the police.

The last I looked up on this , that was the case in GLC area but not rest of UK , however there may be gov. moves to change the situation.

12 hours ago, ruxy said:

The last I looked up on this , that was the case in GLC area but not rest of UK , however there may be gov. moves to change the situation.

I understood the reason you were not allowed to park on the pavement was so the visually impaired didn't walk into obstructions.

Strangely in my travels there are several towns saying park on pavement

A while ago , I  Gooogled up on this regarding a to me 'local issue'  ,  ISTR  , that if you are actually in court for a civil / criminal issue and have parked OFF the public highway (grass verge or footway) - then the judgement will be swayed by what the Highway Code states regarding parking , effectively the HC is legislation from  "Guidance" ,,.

Yes,  I have to admit that I have held a full driving license for 50 +  years in the belief that parking on a pavement was illegal but a bit  late to learn the truth just 2 years ago.

It may be due to the fact that up to the age of 8 yrs (I moved to the sticks) , I often had my ar$e brayed for  chalking 'hopscotch' on the pavement outsidde neighbours houses (a terrible crime) , riding my sisters roller skates on pavement, riding my  'bogie' on said pavement . Also thrashed  bum for taking wheels / axles off younger sisters pram before she was finished with it (was also used by self & older sister) , mother stated  , that then is no more children & you are to blame  !!    The most heinous of crimes , riding my Jeep pedal car on the pavement (complete with white star on bonnet),  care had to be taken with crown jewels due to a 2" rip on the metal seat, no steering wheel as bust & my old man affixed the handle bars off my redundant trike.  Apparently I was able to go down the hill & terrify pedestrians BUT just in time steer off & back over the kerb.   Sadly scrapped after I bust the pedal link(s) to crank (2nd time)  whilst going down a pit heap (that was not a ar$e smacking crime) ..  Progressed to flying saucers of ripped up lino from summit of pit heap , then the lad next door got an eye put out (I may add - he threw it into wind)..

Edited by ruxy
spelin