Triumph 3SW/3HW Restoration

HotBed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never buy a purpose made loom.........(is there such a thing that is actually correct?) 

I use reasonably acurate black rubber covered cable which I buy from Lex. The wiring diagram is easy to follow and just run each wire in turn.

There are only 3-4 wires going to the headlamp and the only part that is rubber sheathed are these wires from beneath the tank to the headlamp. The best stuff to use is a short length of  cycle inner tube, like the thin ones used on racing bikes.

I use insulating tape to hold the wires to the tank tube. Anywhere that shows I use the rubber cable ties......Or sometimes the thin ally ones as used on a 3HW.  

DSCF0721.jpg

The Triumph Club need to put some work into a factory records database, as the Norton Club did some years ago. It's not 100% as it relied on volunteers reading seventy-year old cursive handwriting, but it's a starting point.

The general system is that parts such as gearboxes were stockpiled and there was no talk of first in - first out .

The VMCC at Burton have the post-1941 factory records available on microfilm.  There is nothing to stop you going there and putting in the time yourself.  They've got all the wartime magazines etc. in bound volumes too. Well worth a couple of days.

Well from the evidence Brian Tillin has provided me. His own very original civy 1939 Tiger 70 has gearbox number TE29661 and apart from the civy models being churned out,  there was then mass production for the war effort (all models shared the same gearbox case untill 1948).

Brian has evidence that bikes leaving the Coventry factory in 1940 had numbers in the TE4**** range and as my 3SW has box number TE40455 I'm happy to assume it's the original box.

It doesn't take a genious to work out the minimum amount of WD bikes that were built after mine (around 40,000) and add that to my gearbox number would give a figure around TE 80455. And that doesn't take into account spare gearboxes, or the losses during the bombing and any others that we don't know about. 

I can't understand these 1945-47 dates given by "experts" for gearboxes with TE77*** and TE80*** numbers?  

Ron

Edited by Ron

• 1 month later...

It's exactly what I've done over the years! Fitted what I can, then change them as time goes by and the correct things become available. My two Norton's have eventually got their right levers after 3 complete changes. Mostly because of gathering the knowledge of what I needed and what to hunt for. 

My Matchless G3 has the wrong (Amal) valve lift lever, and I dumped the correct Bowden lever before I realized I needed it. Doh!

Ron 

• 1 month later...

I don’t know why it didn’t go more, there’s another one without the cut out with bids up to £95 so far.

I missed out on the original wartime headlight, I was the under bidder 🙁 a couple of weeks ago.