S26 Scammel part needed assp

Markheliops

I haven't come across this type before but I do remember my other S26 had the same valve.

It looks to me as the governor is combined with a safety valve.

Is there an S26 owner who can check their truck and see if they have similar? 

I may have to fit an updated governor into the system as I don't think I'm going to be able to source a replacement unit. 

13 minutes ago, Markheliops said:

I haven't come across this type before but I do remember my other S26 had the same valve.

It looks to me as the governor is combined with a safety valve.

Is there an S26 owner who can check their truck and see if they have similar? 

I may have to fit an updated governor into the system as I don't think I'm going to be able to source a replacement unit. 

Hi Mark,

The part number for the valve is on the tag, it is APSA2878, which is a Wabco or Bendix part number. Repair kits were avaialble for these valves and they were used on other Leyland commercials. Try a motor factors that deals with HGV's or a DAF dealership.

regards, Richard

3 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Mark,

The part number for the valve is on the tag, it is APSA2878, which is a Wabco or Bendix part number. Repair kits were avaialble for these valves and they were used on other Leyland commercials. Try a motor factors that deals with HGV's or a DAF dealership.

regards, Richard

The repair kit for APSA 2878 is CLA7GA29209 and although Leyland DAF refer to it as Unloader Valve (Clayton Type) it appears to be a Wabco product.  I have the manual here which gives 5 pages of overhaul instuctions and which suggest the valve should be binned or overhauled every 50k miles, twice every year for the average user!

Mike

Edited by radiomike7

8 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Mike,

It was a Clayton Dewandre design and then the company was incorporated into Bendix, Westinghouse (WABCO) and I think now Knorr Bremse

Yes agreed, most of the brake parts now seem to come from Knorr Bremse.

Incidentally 2878 shows as also being used by Bedford and Foden, possibly others. Retail on the complete valve assembly is something like £250.

Mark,

It looks to me to be more of an unloader valve than a governor valve.  The latter stops the compressor from compressing and is often found with a Cummins engine.  Given that you have plenty of space I would think that any suitable unloader valve could be adapted to fit.  The only thing that matters is cut out pressure and that is normally adjustable.  If you need me to machine an adaptor I can do so and post it to you.

John

23 minutes ago, attleej said:

Mark,

It looks to me to be more of an unloader valve than a governor valve.  The latter stops the compressor from compressing and is often found with a Cummins engine.  Given that you have plenty of space I would think that any suitable unloader valve could be adapted to fit.  The only thing that matters is cut out pressure and that is normally adjustable.  If you need me to machine an adaptor I can do so and post it to you.

John

Correct John, it is a line type unloader valve.

Mike