Rolls Royce Armoured Car

Rania

I have bought a  Rolls Royce Armored car replica that was used in the movie Empire of the Sun & Michael Collins.  

Aside from the woodwork I need to ID the engine  and  try to ID the chassis and axles - they are possibly all different. Log book no help as it says Rolls Royce  and it's on a 'Q' plate.

It is not a Rolls Royce as the donor vehicle was an old 'H'suffix  Bedford van - where the engine/box most likely came from.

Anyone recognise the engine. It is a 6 cylinder petrol?

Thanks

20181005_161326.jpg

engine.jpg

Edited by Rania
photo change & typo

I bet that gets some look on the road ! Looks to be a very professional build, much better than most film vehicles.

I would have thought that a H registration Bedford van would be a CF and they had independent front suspension and I don't think that six cylinder engines were offered but it is possible that ambulances or police vans were offered with sixes. It should be possible to find the engine number and from that the original application. Similarly there may be a chassis number stamped into the chassis (possibly the front third of the outer face of the LH chassis rail) which would tell you what that came from. I would suspect a 7.5 ton TK light truck.

David

It's a bit of a bodge I think. I suspect the 'H' reg  was used to get the 'Q' plate as the Bedford makers plate is screwed to a wooden bulkhead with 4 different screws and the Bedford chassis number is  probably welded  in.   The chassis is ancient - 1920's in my view as no front brakes were ever fitted.. 

I'll upload another photo showing  more 

Edited by Rania

Here is the front axle  and wheel.  Not many leafs in the springs for a commercial vehicle.

I'm looking for a spare front wheel too if anyone can help or suggest a make/model that may suit. Dimensions in image below.

Does anyone recognise the axle or steering box?

Could any front brakes be fitted?

Thanks

Don

20181010_133928 - Copy.jpg

20181010_133935 - Copy.jpg

20181005_090149.jpg

20181010_133959.jpg

Tyres3.png

20181010_134205 - Copy.jpg

28 minutes ago, David Herbert said:

That front axle was clearly fitted with brakes but they have been unbolted from the stub axle, the flange remains.

David

Well spotted David.  It is dreadful to stop without front brakes.  Letting off the throttle has more effect than braking. The rear axle seems to be original and has  these rims fitted.  Could they be Bedford rims as  studs same as front ones?

Thanks again  

20181010_104550.jpg

I think that the plain (front) wheels look better than the rears. If the two rows of wheel studs offend you why not cut out the centres and weld in a new centre with just the six stud holes that you need. you can fill the two holes in the RH front wheel at the same time.

David

32 minutes ago, David Herbert said:

I think that the plain (front) wheels look better than the rears. If the two rows of wheel studs offend you why not cut out the centres and weld in a new centre with just the six stud holes that you need. you can fill the two holes in the RH front wheel at the same time.

David

The Citreon U23 wheels are the best bet all round if they fit.   I haven't enough for front/rear spares  and I too like the plain front wheels.

I need to see what can be done about front brakes as she isn't really safe for the road with none. That will affect the hub and maybe the  wheels too.

I'll try a  front/.rear wheel swap to see what  problems arise

Cheers

Don

Edited by Rania