38 Engineer Regiment WKSP REME

Afternoon, Im hoping someone maybe-able to help,

I have a "b" Vehicle card that states the Vehicle I have was attached to the above from the 7/63 untill 2/80.

im interested as to how it would have looked in service and what markings it may have carried [if any].

Thanks For anyhelp

Sam.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it would have been supplied in Deep Bronze Green gloss.  In the UK based TA we stayed DBG gloss and then at some time changed to IRR (Infra Red Reflecting) with non IRR black disruption camo.  I don't know what rules BAOR adhered to.

At some point, and I can't remember when, in UK we stopped using the lovely 'Div Signs' and went for something much more discrete.  For 240 Sqn in Barnet it was "Lond 225".   When I started at Barnet in about 1975 we had two div signs.  One was the yellow and blue RCT sign with "240 Tk Tptr Sqn" on the top.  The other was the London District sign which was a dagger and a castle.  I don't know whether they did the same in BAOR.  If they did, it would have had a REME div sign with something like "38 Engr Wksp" on the top.  The other sign would indicate which formation, ie division the unit belonged to.

The round yellow bridge classification plate would probably be 21,

I am sure that other will be able to help and correct any errors on my part.

John

not shore that the 38th was with BAOR?

most pictures of trucks ive seen are as you describe, very little in the way of unit insignia.

Im considering putting the truck in to Aden/eastern livery 2 tone ect, I know the 38th had dets in theatre, but not shore regards any markings..

53 minutes ago, Samro said:

not shore that the 38th was with BAOR?

most pictures of trucks ive seen are as you describe, very little in the way of unit insignia.

Im considering putting the truck in to Aden/eastern livery 2 tone ect, I know the 38th had dets in theatre, but not shore regards any markings..

I thought 38 Engr Regt was based at Ripon

well thats conclusive!!!!! how did you find that so fast!!!! who has the copy right can I re-post it?

In my defence it lists DET's all over the middle east and even far east! but does appear to be based at Claro barracks, even the RHQ is listed as being east of suez :- 

"Oct 63 - Apr 64: RHQ with 12 and 48 Fd Sqns in Aden."

But the artical does say :-

"1958.12

England: Claro Barracks, Ripon"

clearly this is the place to post for info on units and trucks!!!

2 hours ago, Samro said:

Afternoon, Im hoping someone maybe-able to help,

I have a "b" Vehicle card that states the Vehicle I have was attached to the above from the 7/63 untill 2/80.

im interested as to how it would have looked in service and what markings it may have carried [if any].

Thanks For anyhelp

Sam.

Hi Sam,

As the photo was taken in 1975 it falls straight into the period on the "B" Vehicle card. As the guy posted on Facebook, it was the only Leyland recovery at that unit. The Div sign can be seen on the nearside rear, and if it is what i think it is, a red diamond with two diagonal dark blue stripes and 'XII' written across it. Somewhere I might have a good picture of the sign. Great provenance!

I worked in REME workshops for 22 years and still have a good interest on the subject.

regards, Richard

I was writing this as RIchard posted - so you can add the relevant bits and ignore the rest!

For the entire time this vehicle was with 38 Engr Regt (pronounced "three eight" for RE numbers) it would have been based in Claro Barracks, Ripon.  Throughout those years various squadrons of the regiment deployed individually and quite widely: Aden, as you say, Borneo, Anguilla, Belize, Oman, Northern Ireland...  But, generally, RHQ seems to have remained at Ripon with the remainder of the regiment (the support squadron and the other three field squadrons, plus the REME workshop).  The regimental REME workshop would have remained with the bulk of the regiment - so probably in Ripon throughout, but squadrons would have received a share of REME support for their deployments a Light Aid Detachment - whether some, none or all of these included a Leyland recovery vehicle, I cannot say - but there is a reasonable likelihood particularly for the more demanding overseas deployments.  As a previous poster has said, for the majority of this time the colour scheme would have been DBG with REME arm of service (AOS) signs front and rear (horizontally divided blue/yellow/red square with a white line at top and a white number on the background - possibly 168 or 169) and the formation sign of which the regiment was part.  39, at Waterbeach was part of 12 Engr Bde, (so was 38, it seems from the description supplied by Richard)  but I am not sure what 38 was part of for most of that time.  From the middle seventies DBG was being replaced with "NATO" green and black and it is likely that this would have resulted in the Leyland also being outshopped in this livery at that time.  Formation and AOS signs were then removed and replaced with simple 2" high white letters, such as "2/16" (16 was the number used for engr vehicles and this would be preceded by the number allocated to the formation whatever that was for 38 Engr Regt.)  These were on the offside front of the vehicle and the rear. Union Jacks were not used on UK-based vehicles unless they had a direct NATO deployment role such as with AMF(L).  The bridging circle was no longer yellow but a light grey.  Certainly 38 Engineer Regiment's squadrons had large squadron markings on the doors (48 Sqn, for example was a large blue shield with a gold edge and a gold beaver in the middle).  These remained until the DBG scheme went (for 48 this was early-mid 77 on return from NI).  So, it is possible that the wksp also followed suit, most likely this would have been large REME badges on the cab doors.  But, you now need someone who served at Ripon during that period.

• Like 1

It was usual practice with Engineer regiments for the sub units to go off on various detachments but the Regiment remained based at its home location. The sub units then returning to base on completion of detachment.

Similarly personnel got posted or transfered out individually unlike with infantry units etc were the whole unit and families were moved en bloc.

The sub units or Squadrons had a base amount of staff to fulfill normal tasks but also had some added personnel from ACC,(That dates me) REME and others as required.

In the case of the ACC (Army Catering Corps or Andy Capps Commandos) during normal operations they remained in the central cookhouse and only went with their allocated Squadron on detachment.

For REME some staff were based in the Regimental workshop unit with a few staff working alongside the regular RE fitters down in the Squadron MT or Plant section. Again if detached then the numbers would be boosted if required.

As an aside the loco in the photo is Gazelle a former exhibit at Beverley museum.

Currently located at the Colonel Stephens museum at Tenterden Station on the Kent and East Sussex Railway.

Edited by ploughman

• 1 year later...