The Sun newspaper - 22nd August 2018

LarryH57

Who saw todays Sun newspaper, complaining about Laycock at War and the fact that there were German re-enactors present etc.

It must have been a slow news day!

In other news on page 999... Women complains about a Lancaster flying over Lincolnshire. "How insensitive of the RAF to fly one of these near my home. My grandfather was killed in one of those during the war over Germany".

Tomorrow how a women plans to protest at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Day, as war is horrible and should not be remembered!   

Edited by LarryH57

Also featured on the BBC Wiltshire news page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-45268154

A Jewish woman has spoken of her fear after seeing people "dressed in SS officer uniform" at a living history event on National Trust land.

Nazi items were also sold at the West Wiltshire Military Vehicle Trust (MVT) event and an original Star of David arm patch Jews had to wear was on display.

The woman said: "They were also selling reproduction berets with the SS skulls on them and the Third Reich emblem."

John Wardle, from the MVT, said the items were on sale legally.

The National Trust has warned the charity not to do it again.

1 hour ago, ploughman said:

Also featured on the BBC Wiltshire news page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-45268154

A Jewish woman has spoken of her fear after seeing people "dressed in SS officer uniform" at a living history event on National Trust land.

Nazi items were also sold at the West Wiltshire Military Vehicle Trust (MVT) event and an original Star of David arm patch Jews had to wear was on display.

The woman said: "They were also selling reproduction berets with the SS skulls on them and the Third Reich emblem."

John Wardle, from the MVT, said the items were on sale legally.

The National Trust has warned the charity not to do it again.

There was NOBODY in SS uniform at this year's Lacock at War there were 3 re-enactors in black Kriegsmarine uniforms, with white caps. If there were people in SS uniform why aren't there any photos?

I am working with the National Trust to come to an amicable solution.

Yes I am the same John Wardle 

Sadly, it's not good publicity for the MVT....and has The National Trust taken it upon itself to ban anything relating to the Third Reich from all of its properties, under all circumstances ?

The intellectual capacity of the complainant was demonstrated in this comment :- 

"My descendants are from Europe, and although I don't know by name who perished, I am sure members of my family did die in the Holocaust." "

I wonder if she's given birth to any ancestors yet ? 

Edited by 79x100

11 minutes ago, 79x100 said:

Sadly, it's not good publicity for the MVT....and has The National Trust taken it upon itself to ban anything relating to the Third Reich from all of its properties, under all circumstances ?

The intellectual capacity of the complainant was demonstrated in this comment :- 

"My descendants are from Europe, and although I don't know by name who perished, I am sure members of my family did die in the Holocaust." "

To quote Richard Branson, any publicity is good publicity, maybe I should thank the Sun  for the free advertising. If you look at the comments about Lacock at War on the  Sun website they are all in support of the show.

I also had two uncles killed by the Germans in WW2. 

Plus me and my family have variously been to Auschwitz, Sachsenhausen and Bergen Belsen, so its not as if we don't care. Its just if you are offended then stay away.

I just hope it isn't the end of the show.

And out of interest do people ever get offended by East German Border Guard re-enactors?

Why don't the public get offended by re-enactors dressed in Russian uniforms applicable to annexation of half of Poland 1939, Katyn Forrest 1940, Hungry 1956 and Czechoslovakia 1968 etc.

Edited by LarryH57

OK. easy to get uptight. You all know I come from Jersey, and yes, I'd never wear a WW2 German uniform and I'm uncomfortable around German re-eanctors, but hey, it is my problem. I'm not bothered about Italian, but a friend is upset by Japanesese.

Ridiculous situation, getting offended now sems to be a hobby for some people.

Edited by Tony B

If history is brought to your attention, then people ask, and so the memory is perpetuated, if, on the other hand, it is hidden from sight for fear of offending somebody, then the memory fades and wil be forgotten.

Yes, it is horrific, but its true, it did happen, and must be remembered and told so we all appreciate the world we live in now.

• Like 1

Where does it stop? Vikings are all the fashion nowadays - but they raped and pillaged across Britain, but that's fun I guess?

Pirates are the bad guys, but Hastings has a Pirate day each year, surely that is offensive?

"Backpacking" in countries that have been bombed by the west on your gap-year using the exchange rate as a tool to be treated like Royalty is offensive, but they never hawk on about that! That is a right of passage and "enlightening".

I am unsure how someone how has no real idea of her lineage and her ancestry can be offended by something she has no evidence of and take it subjectively? "From Europe" where? Quite a lot of Europe was Axis forces, so maybe she will get a shock if she digs deeper! If the sight of fabric on a person, that you subjectively identify (wrongly) can cause you a panic attack, I would suggest vetting all social interaction before leaving the house. And surely fascism would be the removal and propitiation of items, such as these uniforms, not freedom of speech? I find that ironic. 

Don't like it, don't go. I hate boy-bands, rap music and modern rap culture but I do not call the BBC and complain when they are on the TV, I turn the channel over.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

There cannot be many families in this country that have not suffered loss in past conflicts  that is history it is what has shaped us all wether it is right to portray a aspect is down to the individual to judge

Quite – it is pointless sanitizing history – if you do then nothing is learned – understand people have a choice and in the U.K for the moment we are permitted to exercise our choices within statute – I do not and never have wanted to portray a member of the armed forces or put on a uniform yet I restore ex military vehicles and have done since the late sixties – we have choice allow others to make there’s

20 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

In other news on page 999... Women complains about a Lancaster flying over Lincolnshire. "How insensitive of the RAF to fly one of these near my home. My grandfather was killed in one of those during the war over Germany".

A dive-bombing Lancaster based at Duxford, it was news to me when I read the article in 2003.

From Germaine Greer's article in The Daily Telegraph 16 Aug 2003:-

They don't have to, but they do, and usually I don't mind. Indeed, to see the aircraft in which my father flew, and hear the throb of its engines, usually brings a lump to my throat. The pilot of the Duxford Lancaster sent an imaginary bouncing bomb across my orchard at about 9pm on July 19, then banked steeply, came round and dive-bombed me again.

Full article here:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardenprojects/3313560/Country-diary-dealing-with-Duxford.html

19 hours ago, 79x100 said:

Am I wrong but we're German prisoners of war held in what are now several National Trust properties?

Does this also affect the re-enactors from British history, remember at Beamish a napolionic display.

Mod Edit: thread cleaned up after complaints from another member. NO Politics please!! Further political posts will be removed without notice. Any member not happy with this please message one of the Moderators, we will not enter discussion here. Thank you, HMVF Team.

• Like 1

John Wardle, secretary of MVT, said "One of the traders was selling Nazi memorabilia. There's nothing illegal about selling Nazi memorabilia.

"There were no Nazis at the event - there were people dressed in German uniforms but they weren't Nazis."

Maybe this was enough to upset the lady in question, I personally don't mind . But perhaps selling Nazi instead of German memorabilia should not be allowed. We are for ever being told "not ALL German soldiers were Nazi's"

However I doubt this will go away.....lets see next year.