BBMF visit, wrong side of the fence.

Chris Hall

An old work colleague who is a Senior On BBMF let me and the family (And some other Families) have a wander around the hanger on the non public side of the fence. I’ve been stationed at Coningsby for 12 years and it’s the first time I’ve been in the hangar. As I left I took this parting shot. I hope it works.

D8FBA255-B616-4B30-9475-88A6D09B1AD1.thumb.jpeg.0d659bcb065acf3341f5ea9935ee3a6c.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 9:29 PM, Chris Hall said:

Got it first time around. A Hawker Typhoon, brought in for the RAF 100 by BAe. 

The lads up there kindly reassembled her after she returned from Maple-land.

And now I can't find the stop-motion footage of the work, typical 🙄

Last of her kind in a close to original state, it would be too risky to put her in the air. Plus trying to get engines for her.

There's a group attempting to rebuild one, and I heard they were hoping to get it airworthy.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:22 PM, Chris Hall said:

the days of needing Armourers on Spitfires, Hurricanes and the Lanc are long gone.

I don't know, the way our government has been going it will be so long before someone realises it's cheaper short term to rearm the BBMF...😉

On 8/29/2018 at 4:38 PM, Chris Hall said:

......my old colleague said they were close to getting a mossie a while back........

The BBMF were due to get the BAe Mosquito at the end of the 1996 season I believe, but the aircraft crashed at Barton that summer, killing the crew and the airframe was totally destroyed.

mosquito3.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

• 2 weeks later...