Royal Enfield ......Rare find No. 2 (really No.3)

welbike

• 6 months later...

Reading through this thread that Lex brought up again. There is mention of the unique split points cap for the WD/D.

Bastiaan bought a magneto to restore for one of his early BSA's which just happened to have a split cap which he didn't recognise at all. 

After he was told what it was, he donated it to me. Nice to have an original which I'll restore as best I can. Ron

WDD cap.jpg

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

The metal is too pitted for plating, so I've given it lots of primer and W&D and a couple coats of ally wheel silver. 

Just another little original part that I enjoy finding and fitting. Ron

DSCF5049 (2).JPG

DSCF5050 (2).JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

There is a limit Chris. I tried it once on a heavily pitted item. The plater put loads of copper on, but it just peeled off again. 

I did manage to scratch it whilst fiddling it in place, and as I'm using a different plater now and as I have a few lever parts ready for dull chrome, I might as well ask their opinion. 

But I always try to avoid the polishing guys if I can....They can seriously ruin your day and your parts!

Ron

DSCF5053.JPG