Morris C8

Sigve

David, is there a way of securing the tilt frame in a raised position on the truck as you suggest. The 3 planks attached to the tilt frame just rest on the top of the original body. There is no other attachment. Also the windows in the canvas only work if you think of it as a separate tent as they are behind the lockers otherwise. Similarly the canvas blinds are on the inside, suggesting easy access from the inside. Just not possible with the lockers in place. 

The radio installation, with the No23 carrier that just clips onto the table, is specifically designed to be removed from the back of the truck if required, and the attached diagram shows it being used away from the truck. That’s why the 300w Chorehorse genny is carried to allow the installation to be used without access to the vehicle auxiliary dynamo. The charging board is attached with wing nuts to allow it to be easily removed for remote use.

Having said all this, I suspect the feeling was that it was a lot of faffing around for little benefit and the option was rarely used

ws19-accessori2.jpeg

Edited by simon king
added diagram
  • Like 1

Simon,

Among the parts included in with this vehicle, there might be a detail that supports your teory (give me a day or two). Would love some more photos like the one you put inn. Pleace keep them comming! 🙂

Here is a little video of the rescue:

• Like 1

David and Simon,

These detail was found in our Morris:  1Peg for securing antenna or tent?  1"part" to set inside tiltpipes (need 4) to prevent it from going into the ground. This have been cut and is therefor not 100% correct. It might miss the third part in the photo which also have been modified.

Sigve

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

Now that is sexy, a Panzerkampfwagen ll D/E Flammpanzer turret. Very, very nice. Have you got the rest of the tank?

Sorry to ruin the thread and I don't want to keep asking favours but is there any chance of taking a picture of the of the Morris's tail gate chain anchor on the tail gate and in the rear body, Please!

Regards,

jon

On 10/18/2018 at 7:53 PM, Sigve said:

David and Simon,

These detail was found in our Morris:  1Peg for securing antenna or tent?  1"part" to set inside tiltpipes (need 4) to prevent it from going into the ground. This have been cut and is therefor not 100% correct. It might miss the third part in the photo which also have been modified.

Sigve

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

Thanks for these photos. It certainly gives credence to the theory as I don’t think the foot is a part for the antenna. Would it be possible to let us have some dimensions for those three canvas extension aprons. This might give us a clue to the original length of the tube extensions

Edited by simon king

On 10/18/2018 at 8:36 PM, Sigve said:

These ithems came with our Morris. Can someone tell me where they go?

Sigve

IMG_3257 ident.jpg

Pretty sure that no 9 are the four bars that hold the four wooden 100-125 Ah battery boxes into their frames. If the Morris mirrors MWR practice, there should be four frames with eight long threaded rods to which are welded large wing nuts. These screw down onto those bars to hold the batteries in place. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2018 at 8:36 PM, Sigve said:

These ithems came with our Morris. Can someone tell me where they go?

Sigve

IMG_3257 ident.jpg

I think 3 might be the mount for the charging board which switched power from the auxiliary generator or chorehorse generator to the banks of batteries. 4 could be the trunking protecting the cables running from the auxiliary generator under the floor to the big control box seen in earlier pictures.(That in turn feeds the charging board) 5 could be the mount for the CAV ammeter associated with the control box. 1 could be part of the cover for the charging board or control box. 10 could be part of the clamping system used to secure the radio table to the floor..

Have studied the article in Wheels & Tracks No 30. Our C8 have a contract nr. 7447. Acording to Wheels & Tracks this contract is a GS FFW (Fitted for wireless), but on our data plate it says GB not GS. Any ideas about this?

IMG_3198.JPG

On 10/30/2018 at 9:19 PM, Sigve said:

Have studied the article in Wheels & Tracks No 30. Our C8 have a contract nr. 7447. Acording to Wheels & Tracks this contract is a GS FFW (Fitted for wireless), but on our data plate it says GB not GS. Any ideas about this?

IMG_3198.JPG

I have just looked at the Contracts list that was used by Chilwell and your vehicle Contract number shows up as S7447 and Cat. Ref. No. 341 and is described as 'Truck 15cwt, 4x4 Fitted for Winch.'  I wonder if this has any bearing on the 'GB' stamp, Breakdown maybe? The red/yellow/blue sign you found is REME, and this sort of links up with that theory. It could have been rebuilt in later years for Wireless use. Have you looked under the chassis to see if it has a winch?

Been thinking about the above and as the Contract list I am using has been transcribed from an original (a Groucho publication), there could be an error where the vehicle description has been missread. I now think that it possibly was 'FFW', which means 'Fitted for Wireless' as I have not come across a C8GS with a winch before.

• Like 1

The differences between the two dataplates (note position of WD on the bottom line  and the depth of the full stop pressing) and the style of pressed lettering (cf Dymo tape) suggest these are created individually or in batches on an Addressograph type machine. Perhaps the GB instead of GS is a simple typographical error, in much the same way as somebody stamped MWQ on a Bedford chassis instead of ???. 75 years later such errors assume far greater significance than ever anticipated.

29 minutes ago, simon king said:

The differences between the two dataplates (note position of WD on the bottom line  and the depth of the full stop pressing) and the style of pressed lettering (cf Dymo tape) suggest these are created individually or in batches on an Addressograph type machine. Perhaps the GB instead of GS is a simple typographical error, in much the same way as somebody stamped MWQ on a Bedford chassis instead of ???. 75 years later such errors assume far greater significance than ever anticipated.

Simon,

I did think that but look at the makers serial number plate, that is actually stamped 'GB' as well. Compare it with Marc's plate which is 'GS', although his is a different Contract number.

A 15cwt FFW will need some factory fitment of gearbox PTO, auxiliary dynamo, shielded ignition suppression and bond straps etc so in retrospect i guess the factory would need to designate the chassis differently. Odd that they just didn’t designate it as C8FFW or C8R though.