Army / SAS Range Rover's

tyler

I only know of one genuine one.  I knew the vehicles's provenince, the only diffrence was a partial chassis number. This vehicle was a 2 door black auto. The only real proof would be if you could get information out of Land Rover. or a freedom of informatin request from MOD. It is very unlikley such vehicles would come onto the civillian market. 

5 hours ago, Tony B said:

I only know of one genuine one.  . It is very unlikley such vehicles would come onto the civillian market. 

I have seen several sold some years ago in the days of MOD auctions, a Landrover dealer I worked for bought a rolled one, a classic blue 4 door fitted with full roll cage it was repaired and  used to be often shown

Edited by Nick Johns

A number were purchased for Urgent Operational needs. The BRIXMIS RAF used them, I have a photo from a serving officer of one , a Classic in Bosnia, Camo and steel wheels, and variuous groups used them in Germany, known as Berlin Blacks,  but to claim that a vehicle is SAS I'd say Umm, prove it.  Mine came through an aquaintance who was closley linked to the Regiment, through his work. The vehicle had served in Berlin, and was a Black 2 door LHD auto classic. The engine was worn out so it went back to Hereford. There a 3.5 V8 Sherpa was aquired for EOD work. Procedure was back down road with top rear mounted light scanning for IED's. After about two weeks of deployment it found one! Basically only the engine came back.  On the grounds of Improvise Adapt and Overcome the engine was fitted to the Rangy so it was an off ticket playmobile. The hell was hacked out of it then it was passed to my friend, as he was carting a lot of stuff about Sailsbury plain. When he worked the rest of the life out it he asked if I would like to buy it for scrap value. I jumped at the chance as I knew the vehicle and hoped to restore it, if nothing else the engine was a pearl. I did run it about for a bit, it wouldn't pull the wall out of a house, the house came with it. Money and time I had to sell it and have lost track of it now. 

Edited by Tony B
  • Like 1

UPDATE:
Although some SAS Range Rover's had a MOD VRN listed on their data plate's, they didn't use them, they were actually assigned government/civi number plates that if ran by police would come up with do not approach/pull.

The vehicle came with a 1992 Owner's manual which  has 9733LCL written on the front page.
I used the online DVLA reg check but doesn't bring anything up.
Does anyone know if this tally's with any VRN sequence's?
Thanks

Vehicle's such as this, and other organisations that you wouldn't think of, have vehicles marked on PNC - Do not stop-report incident to ........

The unit asking for PNC  was then advised Disengage, do not record. There followed a whole lot of paperwork. 

Sounds like the partilal chassis number similar to what mine had. Apprently it identifies the vehicle to a code at Land Rover for spares, and that's it. 

Quick thought, any aditional od dwiring or switch holes on the beast. Also any odd holes under the sill?

Edited by Tony B

• 2 weeks later...

In late 2002 Nick Dimbleby and I collaborated on a feature for LRM based on what we believed to be the last four RR Classics purchased for the SAS and then cast in 2001, illustrated with photos of two of them which were by then in private ownership. This is a direct quote from that article:-

Classified by the military as Car Utility 4x4 3.9 Litre V8 Petrol Range Rover, the four vehicles bearing the call-signs TAC71 to TAC74 carried military registration numbers in the batch EV70AA to EV73AA, though not in any particular order, and had chassis numbers in the MA662### series.

84KK45 was it's military VRN: 
Full designation: Car Utility Special Forces 4X4 Auto 3.9 Ltr V8 Petrol Range Rover Vogue

E123696 is randomly written on the release paperwork just above the disposal authority. Any ideas?

It's in-service date was 1992-2000, 22 SAS is listed as the sole user on the MOD supplied history

This one was apparently a covert vehicle so wouldn't have had the bonnet,bumper and roof assault platforms fitted.
But still had the standard mods as follows:
Roll cage, map light, split charge electrics for battery's, two tone horns, flashing headlights, infrared headlights, specific custom dog guard, diff and steering guards, stiffened suspension,.

All the mods bar the suspension have been removed by MOD and previous owners.

So far managed to source the correct tyres that were fitted to these, the two tones, IR light switch/panel, diff guard and a cage for it just got to collect and refit it. 

It is also due to receive a respray back to it's original colour

Others that were not covert had the assault platforms on bonnet, roof etc.
Rumored mods were run flats, tuned engines, armour plate, weapons holders, reinforced chassis,

Any ideas of what radio system would have been fitted?

Any details on the split charge system and head light flasher's and IR lights would be appreciated.

Might the split charge system be the standard civilian Range Rover option for charging caravan batteries ?

David

PS: I am in the middle of changing a front suspension air bag on my 2005 RR L322. Not expensive at £72 inc VAT and P&P and would be quite an easy job if the two bolts holding the strut to the hub carrier had come out sensibly. They needed about 10 tons force as they are an exact fit in their holes and had rusted in. I have never had a vehicle that I have loved and hated alternately so much !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I've just come across this topic. 22 SAS operated a fleet of Range Rovers from 1972 onwards. They were operated in civilian colours (red, white, green) and, surprisingly, were often driven on their military plates - I remember seeing 08 GF 04, a white one, driving in West London in 1976. They were apparently procured to enable teams to deploy rapidly from Hereford to London up the M4. Examples were seen on military plates on a number of other occasions. 22 SAS were not the only operators of the type - 43 T&M Sq RCT used a few in support of HQ Int Corps at Ashford, and the Belize Log Bn had a couple. There are few photos in the public domain, I believe.

HTH

Robert Swan

Freelance Military Writers

• 2 weeks later...

if you have the MERLIN REPORT it is very doubtful  that you get any more information the form 419B will show the same.  Over the years l seen countless  vehicle history cards concerning vehicles used by the SAS they all show the minimum  amount of details possible