Mosquito Refuelling

Simonl

I have just found this picture of a Mosquito being refuelled by a AEC 6x6 tanker in some of my fathers old photos sorry for the quality but it is a photo of a 33mmx33mm contact print. It is post war but I am not sure if it was taken at Coningsby or when he was in Egypt any info would be welcome.

Simon

DSCF2703.thumb.jpg.f89059c7e52a8cfd9eebad9e43472e77.jpg

That is good as Dad was out in Egypt around that time and 139 was a Coningsby Squadron I will have to find out if I can find out if there are any records of when he was posted out there. He spoke about his time in the RAF a bit but unfortunately I can't remember if he told me any exact dates I will have to try and see if there are any more boxes of photos at mum's.

14 hours ago, No Signals said:

I reckon if someone can recognise the type of distinctive 'wheel spat'  on the aircraft in the background it might tie it closely down to one site or another by the shared Squadron types?  Over to the aircraft recognition experts.

The distinctive wheel spat appears to belong to a Handley Page Harrow, which would fit with the photo being taken in Egypt.

I’m based at Coningsby and the background doesnt look like any part of the base I recognise. Pretty much every way you look on the base there is something. Trees, castle, church, hangers etc. Looking at the edge of the hard standing appears to show a dry dirt road so I’d go with Egypt too.

22 hours ago, mtskull said:

The distinctive wheel spat appears to belong to a Handley Page Harrow, which would fit with the photo being taken in Egypt.

Not a Harrow, firstly it's too late for them and secondly the aircraft in the photo clearly has the wing join the fuselage low down, whereas the Harrow is a shoulder wing aircraft.

Simon King has already put the serial number up TK620. A Mosquito B.35 that was only ever on the strength of 139 (Jamaica) Squadron, who themselves only converted to the B.35 (from the Mk.XVI) in 1948. Based at RAF Coningsby, but the photo is likely taken somewhere a little more tropical.

Having further studied and enlarged the photo, I'll play Devil's advocate for a moment:

I accept that the aircraft in the background can't be a Harrow (which raises the question: what on earth is it? And to what aircraft does the wingtip with multiple aerials belong?).

Details of the Mosquito are certainly consistent with it being a B.mk35 but, as for the serial number,  without a better resolution image I think we're making too much of a leap of faith by taking as definitive the suggestion that the aircraft is TK620.

There's another clue here: look at what the man carrying out the refuelling is wearing; looks like dark overalls and forage cap. Might he not be dressed somewhat differently if this photo was taken on a sunny day in Egypt?

Edited by mtskull

2 hours ago, simon king said:

Don’t know why people just don’t google TK620 as I did. It pulls up a picture taken on the same occasion from a different angle, with the camouflaged B35 in exactly the same position. Why overcomplicate?

He's right, you know.  It even shows the wing antennae stubs to be on another Mossie parked next to it.

35 minutes ago, john1950 said:

I would contest the findings. Number of aerials on the wing in each picture, Fuel tanker type and fueling position.

Contest away.  Parallax has put two of the antennae stubs on the same plane - notice how one looks a little thicker?  ... and the tanker was moved to fuel up the second plane as the chap with the camera was walking round the back

10 minutes ago, john1950 said:

In the Google shot it should be in plain view slightly left of the tail of TK 620. TK 620 seems to have been in service until 1957 when it is listed as SS 22-2-57. 

Not really.  In the forum shot above we have a right front 3/4 shot of TK 620, in the Google image we have a right rear 3/4 shot which should be pretty much 90 degrees round from there.  No way the other plane would be in that shot unless it was a five yards from TK 620.

Just to add something the Google Picture was taken on a different better quality camera than my dads old Purma by somebody else.  It could have been taken at the same time if they were both out with cameras that day. My dad said they would sometimes be able to use the base photo lab "out of hours"  to develop their own pictures although this may have been more difficult out in Egypt. 

The only fly in ointment about the Google shoot which claims to be RAF Fayid in the Suez Canal Zone is the refueller  far right under the wing.which clearly says Shell on it... Well Im pretty sure You wouldn't find a Shell civvy bowser  on military airfield in the Canal Zone.