Firing main guns . Any one done it ?

Norbo

Has any one fitted a oxygen / propane mix with an igniter to the main gun its something i want to do . 

any advice would be most welcome . all i have found out is 70mm id for the bore is optimum so i will have to make the main gun to soot this . but i dont see why you couldn't fit it to the standard 30mm on the gun . So im looking for advice were to get the parts from what you did how you did it . etc . some one must have done this before . 

I spoke to Military  muckabouts and they said they have done it before on bigger tanks and they used a 70mm pipe to make a real big bang .  Im making  scorpion type gun any way so 70mm is fine by me but just wondering who if any one has this all ready done who could assist me in it . 

Edited by Norbo

Back in the days when Tilbury Fort was a good place for MV's they had a couple of 5.5 inch guns. For a pound or two you could fire the gun. This consisted of a shell casing bored out to take a 12 bore alarm blank loaded in the primer pocket. The grin on my son's face, he was about 5 at the time is something I won't forget. Made a very satifacroty bang.

On 7/20/2018 at 3:59 PM, terryb said:

Speak to fourfox  on this forum. 

Very knowledgeable and experienced in manufacturing quality propane replicas 

Do you have a link to him i cant fined him using the search 

5 hours ago, Adrian Barrell said:

5.5 doesn't have a cartridge case nor any way of firing one, you sure it wasn't a 25 pdr? 

No it wasn't a 25 pounder. There were two 5.5 guns on disply at the time, though now you mention it it may have been a 3.7 AA or something similar.  This is twenty five years ago or so now. (Hell! Where does the time go?) At that time Tilbury was a place that welcomed MV's and WW2 shows.

spoke to them today says he will pass my numbers on when they get back from W&P .

Doesn't mean its going to be affordable so if any one does have this s et up id still like to hear from you . 

Edited by Norbo

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 9:14 AM, DanTheMan131 said:

Good idea, they are most likely down at the hop farm setting up for W&P. 

They wanted over 2.5K thats a way more then i want to spend to get a bang . nice bloke we had a good chat but this is a bit of fun and 2.5 K would buy a lot of stuff and for me at least is to much for a bang sound from the gun 

19 hours ago, terryb said:

cheapest way is a pyro plastic maroon which is ignited by two wires across a battery-but beware these are incredibly loud with an equally impressive flash and blast.

were do you get the parts from . do you have pics of one set up . I have no idea what this is . 

I see theatre maroons brings them up  pyro plastic maroon did'nt 

I think for the odd time they will be used this may be a good idea I can hook up a trigger to the in turret battery . Only 2 problems i can see. 1. they are not sold to the public. 2. i would have to make a very secure screw on end to gun turret side and something to hold it , god forbid it blow the back of and fire inside . Unless some how i could fit it right at the end with the wire going all the way down the barrel  sound better and look better as well that way . I think thats only safe way id be happy to use them if i could get 1 . 

Edited by Norbo

• 3 months later...

Putting a maroon in the breach end effectively loads the gun so not sure about legality.
Wells firewooks came up with a 3 shot conversion for a Churchill that ws muzzle mounted and look like a better idea.

http://www.wellsfireworks.co.uk/mines-1/

They also do a canon maroon designed for use in proper gun barrels.
They are T2 so you need proof of training but I'm sure they can help you with that too.

Edited by G8RPI
error in certification
  • Like 1

Out of interest I looked into the "training" requirement and it appears to be up to the suppler to satisify themselves the buyer is adequately trained. If you ae only buying the one type of device and they have avised on the installation they may consider tht enough. If you want a safe firing circuit I can help with that as I've done it as a small part of my day job.

Robert G8RPI.