Ferret Steaming

guykay

My mk 2 Ferret has been bought back into commision, and on its first run out was steaming from the top of the radiator on its return. Steam seems to be coming from the pressure relief device. The little vent pipe had become disconnected. I put a new bit of flex pipe in, but it still seems to steam a bit. Any ideas?

Also I have always topped of the water to the top of the blue fillet cap, but whenever I check it has disappeared. The engine temperature seems stable of a bit high. Again any ideas?

one last thing, one of the fourbolt exhaust manifolds has come loose. Two bolts have disappeared. Is there supposed to be a gasket there? If so where can I get one from?

Hi Chris 

you may be right and I am overfilling it. But the operators manual says the correct level is just below the filler cap. This always seemed a bit odd to me as there is no expansion vessel on the cooling system and surely the water must expand when hot. So if it’s completely full the excess is bound to vent out of the system through the pressure cap

i’ll check the vent hole in the hull as it may well be blocked 

The manual says to fill it to the top, but that will be technically a little overfilled. The idea is that it will vent out of the side until it finds its own level and should be pretty happy from there. I can't for the life of me work out why the Ferret was never fitted with an overflow bottle - Photographic evidence shows the Brits mounting them on trucks during WW2, so they certainly knew about them...

That being said, when I first got my Ferret, the vent valve was faulty and was not building up the required pressure in the system, resulting in it constantly venting and steaming/boiling off. They are a two way valve and should be closed under normal conditions and should vent outward at a fairly high pressure and suck back in at a lower negative pressure (they are actually two valves, one inside the other). I replaced mine with another one from Empire Trading and it's been good ever since. The supplied valve was slightly different to the one on the vehicle though, and I had to drill out the mounting holes a little to have it fit properly.

Cheers,

Terry

Right

I have unblocked the breather outlet where it comes through the hull, it was indeed blocked with crud

The exhaust manifold adaptor(4 bolts to one of the rattling tubes) is broken. Left hand one looking from the exhaust side of the engine. Any idea where I might source a new one?

removing the distributor heat shield to gain access to the manifold bolts of course resulted in both 1/4” retaining bolts shearing, so I will need to drill them out & tap them, deep joy!!!

• 1 month later...

Fittig a expansion bottle to take the overflow is a simple job they did it on the SAS jeeps  I have had 5 Ferrets and have bone this mod If you cannot get a gasket for the manifold Make one out of copper sheet  a  old hot water cylinder comes in handy 

Fitting a expansion bottle to take the overflow is a simple job they did it on the SAS jeeps  I have had 5 Ferrets and have done this mod If you cannot get a gasket for the manifold Make one out of copper sheet  a  old hot water cylinder comes in handy  I made a mod on the exhaust manifold to reduce the exhaust leak at the expansion pipes and it was so quite  and gave me over 10 to 12 mpg  it was posted a few years ago with pics