23rd August 1915

Snapper

This is a day late due to a system problem at work - but I wanted to record the 92nd anniversary of the death of my Great Uncle Leslie Barnes, a private in 16 platoon, D Company, 2nd Bn London Regiment, who was killed at Hooge, near Ypres on 23.08.1915. Les was in a dugout that received a direct hit from a shell and was killed instantly. He is buried along with two other men, PJ Ryan and Fred Lunn at Divisional Cemetery on the Dikkebush Rd, which is west of Ypres.

Les was 20 and came from Stoke Newington. He was a Territorial and had been in Malta before the Bn were sent to Flanders. When my aunt Jean developed Alzheimers disease she allowed me to take all family photos and memorabilia into my care because she knew she was doing odd things (she threw out all her cutlery service knives - or sent them off for sharpening. We have never recovered them and have three or four sets of spoons and forks). Among the stuff are pix of Les in Malta and somewhere on active service. I have two different Grave Registration Cards which are illustrated, a colour illustration of the cemetery and copies of letters sent to my great-grandmother by Les's company and platoon officers, his platoon sergeant and three of his mates. Pure treasure. I've also got his 1914/15 Star and his 'Dead Man's Penny' which I found by chance in a bureau draw. All casualties of the war had one of these issued to next of kin and a great many were thrown away as the recipients were insulted. I've just learned that early examples were made at Woolwich and have a W stamped on the back. Scrolls of honour were also sent to next of kin, but Les's disappeared along with the cap badge he wore which was sent to his mum. I got a repro of the scroll from a book shop in Ypres. Once my Apple Mac has been fixed at work, I will post up the pix of Les, and the memorabilia I copied to share with you. I hope you don't mind me posting this personal tribute to him. Shame modern technology conspired to muck it up....

My aunt Jean, who was 84, became very frail and died the Friday after Beltring, hence my long absences from the forum before my family escaped for a holiday, She was my last link with my Barnes family and this is a very sad thought. They're all gone.

Sorry to hear that Mark, as mark said you have a great treasure trove there.

I have my Great Gandfather's "Death Penny" in it's original cover with the note from the King, one photo & that's it, we don't know exactly where he was killed or burried & search of records have turned up nothing.. he's records were probably destroyed by that fire in WW2

width=640 height=962http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/GreatGrandadTom005.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=425http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/GreatGrandadTom001.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=425http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/GreatGrandadTom002.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=425http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/GreatGrandadTom003.jpg[/img]

I can remember returning to the U.K in 1974 and my aunt who lived 4 doors up showed me 5 large ornate frames which had the scrolls picture and the memorial plaque of members of her family killed during WW1. These will be yours when i go she often said as you like badges and medals.

Within two hours of her passing away they had disappeared to my cousins keep to be sold next day

What a f****ing shame :cry: :cry:

Ashley

Lee - you are bit correct and a bit incorrect about records. The army records destroyed in Bermondsey during the Blitz were not all lost - as you say an average two thirds is often quoted. The medal cards come in various conditions, depending on how much burn or water damage they suffered. The majority of medal cards for "soldiers who died in the war" and many who lived on, survived in some form. It is true that a lot was lost. But it is a lottery. I have never tried because I don't need to. Guards units and 99% of officer records were kept entirely separately and the Royal Artillery have separate records - but these are kept at Firepower and are - shall we say - in a transitory state in some cases. Like everything else, all these records rely on an index card system and the RA's has been shuffled, or so I am told.

Commonwealth War Grave records are entirely separate and bear no link to the army records in terms of any official cross referencing. This is why there are occasionally gaps and errors on the CWGC register which was begun by the Army Graves Registration unit under command of Major General Fabian Ware which eventually became the Imperial War Graves Commission.

Mark is right, you need to be able to narrow down a list of names down to a date, corps or regiment - and it appears your needs are more family tree orientated to surmise a place of birth and likely place of domicile close to where he may have enlisted. The pennies are useless for real info - you just get a name - but you have a cover, which is stunning. I've never seen one.

There is a lot you can do to find out who your man is. I'll try and help you if I can whenever we have any spare time!

Mark

I can remember returning to the U.K in 1974 and my aunt who lived 4 doors up showed me 5 large ornate frames which had the scrolls picture and the memorial plaque of members of her family killed during WW1. These will be yours when i go she often said as you like badges and medals.

Within two hours of her passing away they had disappeared to my cousins keep to be sold next day

What a f****ing shame :cry: :cry:

Ashley

This is typical. They would have been worthless and made hardly any money. The metal may even been sold as scrap. But it is possible they exist in a collection. No comfort to you. A neighbour of mine had a huge collection he built up from house clearances. Best thing is, he cherished them.

There is a group who try to reconnect plaques with families. Amazing.

Thank you for that Mark and I can tell for sure the passion you have for all off this in your reviews and comments.

Look after it all. It is the nations history.

Well said, Jack.

Thank You, Mark, for sharing these details with us;

All the best,

Andy

more treasure

The letters read:

Dear Mrs Barnes

I much regret to have to inform you that your son has been killed out here with us. He was asleep in his dugout when a large shell entered it and blew it up. Death must have been instantaneous. We dug him out and have buried him decently with a cross. I particularly feel his loss as for some time he has been acting as a servant and has always proved most cheerful and willing. Any personal effects will in due course reach you. Please accept mine and all his comrades sincerest sympathy and remember he died doing his duty. Rupert Sneath Captain.

2nd London Regt 23.08.1915

Dear Mrs Barnes

it is with much sadness that I send you the only consolation possible with regard to the death of your son Leslie. He as killed almost instantaneously with two others. He was asleep when it came, and probably knew nothing about it but just continued his sleep. He was one of he best boys we have had, liked by everyone for his quiet disposition and devoted to his duty. I am sure it will ve a great consolation to you to know that his name goes down on the Roll of Honour of those who have given their lives for their Country. We all send you our sympathy in your loss. John de Vane. Lieut.

Three more letters from NCOs and chums

No 2035 No 2 Coy British Expeditionary Force, August 27th 1915

Dear Mrs Barnes,

No doubt by now you have heard the terribles news of the death of dear old Leslie. It was a great shock to me. I can more than appreciate the grief of you - his mother. You have the heartfelt sympathy of myself and all here who knew him. I was about the last one to talk to him and on the Sunday night I was with him for an hour or so in a farmhouse at the rear of our dug-outs. We talked of you all at home and he was very pleased having just heard that his father was very much better in health. They had been shelling us very heavily off and on for two days and early on the Monday morning they started again sending over large shells by the dozen.. One of these fell in the dug-out occupied by Leslie and two others killing the three of them. I was on the spot some few minutes after he was dug out and saw that his personal effects were all hand over to the right quarters. His was a merciful death and he could not have known anything. He looked quite peaceful as if asleep. They buried him on Tuesday in a Soldiers grave with a cross and "Killed In Action" inscribed. I know the exact position of his resting place should you after the war care to see it. His Officer wrote you the same day I understand his photo has been sent to the Territorial Gazette, Well, Mrs Barnes, he died gloriously and heroically for the noble end to be and if I am to die out here, I only trust I may be measured out such a speedy and merciful end. You have the heartfelt sympathy of all the boys who knew him anbd who wish me to convey these, their sentiments to you in your terrible trouble, My regards and best feelings to you. George Jackson.

No 2082 D Coy 16 Platoon, 2nd London Regt August 25th/1915 British Expeditionary Force.

Dear Mrs Barnes,

It is with the greatest sympathy that I write these few lines to you. You will have received Lieut de Vane's letter telling you of the sad but noble end of your son Leslie. There was nobody better liked or more popular than him and his loss is greatly felt. I am enclosing the cap badge that he has worn, thinking you might like it. In writing these few lines I tender the deepest sympathy of the whole of his chums in D Coy. in your great loss. W. Mowbray.

Pte RA Lawence 2356 D Coy 2nd London Regt BEF.

Dear Mrs Barnes and All,

You must excuse the liberty we are taking in writing this note. As your son Leslie were a chum of ours and a parcel as come for Him. The Batt. not returning them so our Officer handed it to us stating that he was sure Leslie would have done the same. We feel the loss of Him and deeply regret having to write such a note as this, for your son was one of the Bravest and most cheerful chums we will ever have. We all know what a great blow this must have come to you all, but your son died a Soldier and not a SHIRKER. We now conclude trusting you all are in the very best of health, and also you will not be offended at us writing. We are yours sincerely

Pte RA Lawrence, L Cpl W May, Pte RE Hallard.

second grave registraation card. This shows a good view of Divisional Cemetery as it looked in 1918 or just after. Les, Fred Lunn and PJ Ryan were all eventually given separate graves. This belies the obvious notion they were blown to bits. We assume the letters put a nice slant on the image of the men blown up in a dug-out by a large shell. Who knows. In normal circumstances remains would be put in a sack. Maybe they just put up three stones for them. In the cemetery are 23 men of the Duke of Wellingtons Regt who were killed in a gas attack. They have separate gravestones although it is a mass grave in almost a whole row, Poor sods.

Les in Malta at the end of 1914. The Battalion were there to garrison the island - presumably releasing a Regular unit to go to the front. They arrived in France in May 1915 and moved up to Flanders in time for Les to die on Aug 23. He was a good looking lad and would have been 21 on December 20th.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been out at Ieper, during this August, I can assure you that all the cemeteries in the Salient are in superb order. The work done by the CWG is an example second to none. The other thing that always strikes me is the respect shown to such sites by the people of Belgium. There is group, No Man's Land famous from TV's The Trench Detectives who would be very grateful for a copy of the letters etc. Information such as this helps place units specifically at locations and times. Andrew Robertshaw, now director of the RLC museum at Deepcut is a member, as well as being a renowned expert on the Great War. I know a lot of the guys and can assure you from the depth of my soul that all such information would be treated with respect and treasured.

No probs. The cemeteries are my favourite places. Sounds odd, but every one is a book and every grave is a page. I'll be on the Somme at half term continuing my pilgrimage. I joined the WFA this year and really can't imagine what I was doing before my first visit to the WW1 battlefields. Divisional cemetery is a typically small location. We always like to see if the cows are grazing in the fields behind - an image of life continuing. There are many I haven't been to, and I plan to see as many as I can before I snuff it.

cheers

M