Turbocharged ferret and boosted brakes, purists look away! ITS RUNNING!

Codeblue

On 9/18/2019 at 8:05 PM, johnwardle said:

The reason that military engines are detuned is simple, the lower the power output the less stress on the engine components therefore the engine lasts longer.

One reason you never know the quality of fuel you are going to get. Better an engine at low power running than high performance stationary. Add the Squaddie factor, flat out trust in the Lord, and it gets expensive.

• 10 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 2:56 PM, patracy said:

Mind sharing a few more details?  What specific turbo is that?  How did you plumb the oil supply and return lines?  What carb is that?

That carburetor is  surely a 2-bbl Holley, but I too would love to know more about which model and how they have it jetted.  I guess if you don't get pitchforks and torches for installing a half-a-Holley and a turbo, nobody is going to mind if I install fuel-injection on mine, right? 🙂

I also have always wondered on these blow-through setups how you manage the fuel level in the carb, Mechanical pumps are typically just good for a few PSI, so having to fight the boost pressure seems like it would be a problem.  Obviously they got it to work, I just don't know how?

Edited by teletech

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Down Under Armour said:

Turbo ferret was sold by its creator but is still going strong. It’s creator is still working on the V8 Version which is getting close.

Good to hear it's still out there and under power.  Any chance the creator or new owner is available to fill us in to the details of what turbo was used, etc.?

I'm a little tempted to do one in electric, as that would help with the Ferret's least attractive trait, the noise inside!

• 4 months later...