land rover 101 ambulance found in Australia

OZITIM

I have just acquired this interesting and rare machine in Australia. According to the story, it was imported about 17 years ago from Britain, driven to the location, and then left on site, since that time. So much so, that the back doors hadnt been open, and fortunately for my boy hips, I was able to squeeze through the window behind the driver and open it from the inside. What I found was a complete unmolested interior, including the canvas stretcher and all fittings as per army original. 

I used surplussed tyres from 101's on my WW2 WC Dodges, the 5 degree angle on the bead did not seem to make a difference.  It must be possible to swap them the other way, but I recognise tyres for Dodges may be scarce where you are too.

The tread pattern was the ordinary bar grip, not anything modern or complicated.

11 hours ago, OZITIM said:

The million dollar question. How do I get 9.00 x 16 tyres for it? I can source most other things, but the tyres are a nightmare

Hi Tim,

You might find it useful to check out the forum of the Register of Ex-Military Land Rovers, here is a direct link to the section on the FC101, http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?board=27.0  It is an Australian specific forum, a number of 101's served in the Australian military as part of the Rapier missile system as well as a few ex-British 101's that have been imported by collectors, I know of one ambulance as it was at the Corowa Swim-In this year. Worth joining the forum, they are helpful guys on there.

regards, Richard

On 6/17/2018 at 9:14 AM, OZITIM said:

The million dollar question. How do I get 9.00 x 16 tyres for it? I can source most other things, but the tyres are a nightmare

can you get hold of any michelin XZL's in 255/100/R16?  Thats what I have on my 101, and I know some Aussie Ferret owners have fitted them too as a replacement for the trackgrips

• 1 year later...

Hi all, it’s been a long time since my last post, but I’ve finally started on the 101, having started the engine last week. Electrics were an issue, but i seem to have overcome the problem. I’m doing the Resto in far northern Australia, so the heat in the cab is immense. Removing the clutch and brake master cylinders were a fun endeavour, and like most British military machines, if my hands were about half the size, it would have been much easier. The Rover V8 has only done 70,000 klm and sounds great. My next challenge is to get the clutch and brakes operational and click it in too gear. 

6EB0540B-6140-48F2-90DD-02371B42EFAA.jpeg

E5AE2007-937C-4EA5-A76E-15540B32DC72.jpeg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...