LGV mot ??

Has anyone any experience with the new MOT regs for post 1960 LGVs?

The Milly is due taxing and on checking the V112G it is no longer relevant to any exemption on there, no surprise..

I checked on the latest MOT requirements and plating is a prerequisite also I could not see any reference to testing historic vehicles. I called DVLA and they mentioned the rolling 30 exemption for LGVs, on further questioning this was forgotten. In the end they had no idea what to do.

What a load of .......

Anyone with any insight, I'm confused and fed up with the whole process. Beer required!

Cheers

Iain

• Thanks 1

The new 40 year old Vehicles of Historic interest MOT exemption ONLY applies to vehicles Up to 3.5ton/  3500kg GVW,

The existing Pre 1960  Historic Goods vehicles over 3.5 ton exemption from test and hgv licence if used unladen Remains the same and the 1960 date will Not be changing, so alas Virtually all Post 1960 goods commercial vehicles which were previously claiming mot exemption under various categories on the old form V112G will now need testing and the appropriate LGV licence needed to drive them even for  private use,      

The new Form V112G MOT exemption for vehicles over 3500kg has been revised and lots of categories have been removed so a lot more vehicles are now brought into the testing scheme

Edited by Nick Johns

I was led to believe that removal of exemptions was for vehicles "used commercially" not for private or historic.

The appropriate licence is not a problem, but the testing guidelines certainly are!

Many thanks

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

The testing of previously exempt LGVs was for vehicles used commercially, or so I have read, but there is no provision on the form V112G for vehicles like mine.

The testing guidelines do not have any provision for historic vehicles and a prerequisite to testing is a plating cert!

Where does that leave me, DVLA have no idea.....

Confused and p*%$d off!

Cheers

Iain

2 minutes ago, Nick Johns said:

VOSA are responsible for goods vehicle testing, the change will now leave a lot of vehicles off the road unable to re tax them without a test certificate untill clarification from VOSA is available, most have never been tested so have no ministry Vehicle Plate issued which is going to take time working out axle loadings, weights etc.   contact VOSA not the DVLA

Hi Nick,

My mistake it was DVSA (the national helpline number given for the Aberdeen testing station) that I contacted and in the end they did not know what to do!

As said the end of exemption was meant to be for vehicles used commercially not historic vehicles, but there is no provision anywhere and to go through plating and testing to commercial standards is a no go making these vehicles worthless.

Iain

4 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

Have you contacted The Dft or The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs?

The DfT:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport

The FBHVC:-

http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/

No, I hadn't thought but I'll get in touch with them and the MVT.

Surely I'm not the only one in this pickle?

cheers

Iain

Hi Iain,

The DfT have stated that anyone having difficulty finding a test station prepared to test their vehicle should contact them directly for assistance. There is little point talking to MVT - this a regulatory matter and has already come into force. FBHVC will only be able to offer their interpretation of the regs., but that won't help you as you already know your truck requires a test.

I read somewhere (I think HCVS magazine) that vehicles which have never been plated will not require this, and that they can still be presented for testing, presumably against some form of minimum standards. Again this is a DfT question.

- MG

1 hour ago, TooTallMike said:

Hi Iain,

The DfT have stated that anyone having difficulty finding a test station prepared to test their vehicle should contact them directly for assistance. There is little point talking to MVT - this a regulatory matter and has already come into force. FBHVC will only be able to offer their interpretation of the regs., but that won't help you as you already know your truck requires a test.

I read somewhere (I think HCVS magazine) that vehicles which have never been plated will not require this, and that they can still be presented for testing, presumably against some form of minimum standards. Again this is a DfT question.

- MG

Thanks Mike, I hear what you say and suppose it's really a question for DfT.

I was hoping to hear from someone who had done this for a similar vehicle. The MVT may be able to help with this but I'll check with DfT first.

I am not convinced yet that I do need an MOT as the discussion documents leading up to the changes mentioned targeting vehicles "used commercially". This is question for the DfT.

If I do need to test the Milly that would be fine with me as long as it is sympathetic to the age and use and does not include plating. I have had a look at the latest testing guidelines and there is no accommodation for historic vehicles that I can find.

Cheers

Iain

I wouldn't bother contacting the MVT  I am a MVT area secretary and I have not had any information about the. MOT testing changes.

I have had a look at the DVSA website and I can understand your confusion, it doesn't explain how to go about getting a MoT or how you get the most recent safety inspection certificate that you have to produce to the relevant authorities.

This seems to me to be legislation thought up by someone that has no concept of the classic heavy vehicle world. This legislation was probably thought up by the same people who decided that MoT testers now have to check that brake discs and pads are not missing!!

I happen to frequent a place were DVSA come regularly. As there are only at most two of my company's vehicles there at on any day, One of us gets picked on. One vehcle had four checks in two weeks, about a week after it had it's plate teast. In six months the same vehicle, with me driving had eight seperate roadside checks, all at the same location. You cannot make it up!

On 6/9/2018 at 9:02 PM, johnwardle said:

This seems to me to be legislation thought up by someone that has no concept of the classic heavy vehicle world. This legislation was probably thought up by the same people who decided that MoT testers now have to check that brake discs and pads are not missing!!

The legislation that has led to Iain's Militant requiring testing has nothing to do with classic vehicles. Had his truck been a cargo version it would already have been tested annually up to now. The recent changes to test regs have brought a large number of previously-exempt categories into the testing regime, one of which is recovery vehicles.

If it's any comfort at all Iain, I can assure you that you are not alone. We have a 1963 Berliet wrecker parked up in my yard pending clarification on testing regs and I know of many other people with weird and wonderful things such as ballast tractors and modified heavy haulage tractors that are trying to get their heads around all this.

- MG

hi , got me wondering after reading this , so as i understand it vehicle`s before 1960 there is no change , as i have a 1943 truck weighting at about three and half tons ,so is going to affect my vehicle , these law changes are so confusing and maybe taking these wartime vehicles from going to displays around the uk , what a pity ,      

On 11 June 2018 at 8:54 AM, TooTallMike said:

The legislation that has led to Iain's Militant requiring testing has nothing to do with classic vehicles. Had his truck been a cargo version it would already have been tested annually up to now. The recent changes to test regs have brought a large number of previously-exempt categories into the testing regime, one of which is recovery vehicles.

If it's any comfort at all Iain, I can assure you that you are not alone. We have a 1963 Berliet wrecker parked up in my yard pending clarification on testing regs and I know of many other people with weird and wonderful things such as ballast tractors and modified heavy haulage tractors that are trying to get their heads around all this.

- MG

Thanks Mike

In time I am sure things will settle down and we will all know where we stand and what to do, including testers. This should have been an easy and unambiguous process from the start but I'll get onto DfT and push for answers.

Might as well be hopefull....

Cheers

Iain

1 hour ago, 2e0prp said:

hi , got me wondering after reading this , so as i understand it vehicle`s before 1960 there is no change , as i have a 1943 truck weighting at about three and half tons ,so is going to affect my vehicle , these law changes are so confusing and maybe taking these wartime vehicles from going to displays around the uk , what a pity ,      

The change Only effects Post 1960 made goods vehicles over 3.5ton..  No change for the existing Pre 1960 goods commercial vehicles over 3.5ton are still exempt test and hgv licence if used unladen

Edited by Nick Johns

32 minutes ago, Nick Johns said:

The change Only effects Post 1960 made goods vehicles over 3.5ton..  No change for the existing Pre 1960 goods commercial vehicles over 3.5ton are still exempt test and hgv licence if used unladen

hi , thanks for the good news , that was headache, i`ll tax mine now thats all sorted , thanks Nick ,  regards  Pete 

Still looking for definitive answers re MOT of our 1943 Chevy C60L Wrecker and if it now needs an MOT as it can be classed as a breakdown truck on and HGV chassis.  This would mean plating, fitting side bars and rear bumpers to modern standards etc which would totally change vehicle and render it non accurate for the period etc, also annual testing by DVSA etc.

Gary

To repeat my previous post.!....No the 1943 Chev wrecker does Not need testing as its a "Pre 1960 Historic goods vehicle over 3.5ton" and is still Exempt mot and lgv licence ..."Provided its used unladen, it is allowed  to tow an unladen trailer."...... No change..........

Breakdown/Wrecker trucks, ..Other than pre 1960,.. are now no longer exempt and will have to be tested which is the start of this thread regarding the AEC Militant wrecker,   friend has a 1965 French Army Berliet TBC wrecker, now off the road untill clarification re. testing

The New changes to truck test exemption regs. Only affects commercial vehicles made After 1960 over 3.5ton ,  owners have previously been able to Self Claim a test exemption using form V112G,  this has now been ammended by DVSA as some of the categories  were being exploited as  "loopholes" to claim test exemption by commercial truck operators who were found to be running badly maintained dangerous  trucks with no testing,

The new 40 Year old VHI, "Vehicles of Historic Interest" category, the MOT exemption  Only applies to vehicles up to 3.5 ton,  for cars, light trucks, vans  and some passenger buses, ..,,Not large goods vehicles, so now a lot of post 1960 historic hgv's  will be off the road !!

Edited by Nick Johns

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote to DFT who passed my enquiry to DVSA and have received a reply from a technical officer as follows;

Good afternoon,

"These vehicles do require an MOT if they are to be used on the highway.

You will need to submit a VTG1 first test application so that we can create the technical record.  We are aware that some information may no longer be available like the type approval requirements. We do have information on some of these vehicles or similar that we can cross reference. Once the tech record has been created you will get a notification that the vehicle can now be tested. Once you have received that you will then be able to book it in to a ATF close to you. They will be tested to age related requirements. You can use the inspection manual for compliance of the vehicle you have.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hgv-inspection-manual

Regards

Philip Harrison

Heavy Vehicle Technical Officer.
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN
Phone: 01792454206, Fax 01792 45438"

That's it in a nutshell so that is what I shall do, not just now as I am busy with other things but in a couple of months.

I'll let you know how it goes.....

Cheers

Iain

• 7 months later...

I have now applied using the VTG1 and have booked into the nearest approved test centre at Peterhead. It cost £113 to the DVSA and then the test centre charged an extra £179! I am assured that I will be reimbursed the £113 from DVSA as the test centre were double charging to be sure they got paid....

So far other than the double charging it has been quite painless, I filled in the form as much as I could and sent copies of the manual data pages.

One question came up in conversation with the test station as they felt purpose built recovery vehicles were still exempt and it was only adapted commercial chassis that lost exemption. This is not true. In conversation with the tech department at DVSA only pre 1960 and vehicles in STG3 ( multi axel heavy recovery) are exempt test. All other post 1960 trucks must now be tested.

They are aware that false declarations are being made and accepted.

Anyway the Milly is booked in for the 27th of this month and then it will be for sale. I will be sad to see it go but I've had her over 10 years and already have a replacement ( the Perentie). If interested get in touch.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

I am attempting to MOT my Renault Maxter as we speak. 

As far as I can see it is in the original condition but there is plenty of things that were missing when new that it now needs. 

Like marker lights on the rear and three point seat belts. Also the spray suppression on the rear wheels is not wide enough. 

The biggie is at some point the passenger head light was replaced with one from a Left Hand drive truck. The correct one is now unobtainable not new or second hand. 

Buying it could have been a massive mistake. 

I understand that the DAFs did not conform to the regulations when they were new and now need quite a lot of work to get them through the MOT. 

Older vehicles might be easier. 

I'm getting myself and the Milly ready for Wednesday's test and am unsure about brake testing on a rolling road. Is it safe or advisable to allow this test or should I insist on a test with a meter?  I am thinking of the rear bogie drive set up, the front axle should be OK as I won't be selecting 6wd.

I'm also checking all that I can think of including checking for air leaks, not easy with tinnitus......

Its around 20 miles to the test station so I don't want to be going back if I can help it.

Many thanks

Iain

The weak point on the rear bogie is the third diff which has a drop gear for the leading axle pinion running on a steel shaft with no bearing.  Being at the top of the third diff it gets limited amounts of lubrication and can seize in seconds if one axle is stationary and one is turning, you would most likely get away with it for a brake test but not if one axle spins relative to the other if bogged.  I have spoken to my local LGV test station and they will come back with clarification as to what is acceptable.